• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does my dotted line change to dashes?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is, as far as my novice brain can understand, the exact same "page" but on one, the dotted like is showing correctly when exporting and in the others, it shows as dashes. I cannot wrap my head around it. 

The lines are just normal lines with dots as stroke. 
Whenever I use this page as the second page in a spread, it renders correctly, but if I use two of them for the spread it renders as dashes. Sorry if I'm not able to explain very well, English is not my first language.

Using Indesign 2024

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

I'm sorry! I've actually just been able to export it as PDF and it's correct! The issue was appearing because I was using "print" and saving with the Microsoft print to PDF option. This might still be an issue somebody needs to investigate for the print option but in my case the Export option works

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't quite resolve the format of the lines at upper right — I assume those are the ones you mean are dotted.

Any line style should remain the same no matter where it's used in a document, though. There is no simple reason it would change from page to page.

Do the lines show correctly within InDesign? And what format are you exporting to, and with what settings?

(Note that the translation feature here is very good, for our purposes. Feel free to post in your stronger language if that helps.)

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lines do stay the same, all dotted, within InDesign. And I'm exporting to PDF for printing, using spreads.
File attached on another reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry! I've actually just been able to export it as PDF and it's correct! The issue was appearing because I was using "print" and saving with the Microsoft print to PDF option. This might still be an issue somebody needs to investigate for the print option but in my case the Export option works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All versions of "print to PDF," such as those integral to MS Office, many other apps, and enabled by installing various PDF tools and drivers, are VASTLY inferior to proper PDF export. Never use "print to PDF" unless it's the only option, or you just need a "digital print" of a document, and are willing to accept faults in the output. (I can't imagine, for example, that it would matter if your printed out a Word form and the lines were dashed instead of dotted.)

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this problem happening with just this one document? If that is the case then it seems possible that there may be some corruption in the file. Try exporting the file as an IDML (File>Export>InDesign Markup (IDML)). Then open that file with your version of InDesign and see if that fixes things. This process can remove some corruption from a file. You could also just create a new file and repeat the process that you used to make the first one (don't copy and paste from the old file—doing so might bring in a corrupt elelment) to see if the same issue recurs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2024 Apr 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

Very interesting problem.
Can you share an InDesign file with us? 
I'd like to see it in person and test it.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course! Go ahead

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines