• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why have Master pages in InDesign been renamed to Parent pages?

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inclusive terminology-01.png

Words paint pictures that speak loudly. The use of words with racist, sexist, oppressive connotations, overtones, or history can make the reader feel hurt, traumatized, or unwelcome. With this in mind, non-inclusive content and reference imagery in Adobe's products are being replaced with those that reflect the company's core values of diversity and inclusion.

As part of this effort, in the latest version of InDesign (version 17.0),  Master Pages have been renamed to Parent Pages within the application. 

Do let us know if you need more information.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Hi all,

Thank you for your feedback and for sharing your opinions. We have read all your observations and shared them with the relevant team members. While we will keep this topic open for discussion, we urge you to maintain the decorum of this community by ensuring your adherence to its guidelines. 

We encourage you to make any change requests or suggestions on the InDesign UserVoice forum https://indesign.uservoice.com for them to be priortized by the product team.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't see how replacing "non-inclusive" terminology is going to enhance my work flow or further excel my skills in InDesign. Why compell users to accept language that we all know has nothing to do with negative connotations. I aspire to reach Master-class level in all I do. Are we all suppose to dumb down our vocabulary for the sake of maybe sparing someone's feelings? Have you ever had your Fine Arts Masters degree instructor criticize your work? Talk about brutality. Let's let go of the coddling and get to work on exceptional design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gale force sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I feel like my Judo master enslaved rather than led me on my journey to defensive enligtenment!

There's always context with words Adobe.....and sometimes multiple meanings too.....imagine that while politic-ing!

Are these the sort of listed 'new features' that we can now expect with our pre-PAID/deliver-later(maybe) subscriptions?

There's also the context of what Adobe SHOULD be focussed on......the new cut and paste from Ai to PS doesn't even work properly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The word "Master"? Honestly? Who in this day and age links that to slave master? I suppose things are going pretty well if we are reaching this deep to find a problem. Master's degrees, master bedroom, masterpiece, masterful, remastered, masterbuilder, mastermind, are all racist? I'm all for boycotting PowerPoint for being garbage. They're still using the term Master Slides. 

I guess we can keep going down this path to be sure racism never dies. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe in near future:

We are proud to announce we are renaming the color Black in the color pallet…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... has no one pointed out that 'Parent' itself became un-PC many years ago ... Sorry, but you'll have to call them 'Parent/Guardian Pages' ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, more information is not needed that's all the stupidity we can handle for a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... should've been using my sarcasm font ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm all for diversity and inclusion, but I'm also a strong supporter of common sense. The definition of the word master in this context means pages from which other pages are derived. It's an entirely neutral, accurate, and acceptable use of a common and well-understood English word with multiple definitions.

This kind of ill-conceived language policing is an affront to clear and unencumbered thinking. Adobe should concentrate on improving its software rather than imposing the wacky end of wokishness on perfectly acceptable and useful words.

Whether they're called master or parent pages makes little difference, but Holy Cow (no offense meant to religious people or exploited bovines intended), Adobe's stated rationale behind this terminology change is ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you work on making indesign more collaborative (everyone on team working on a doc at once). Google has this figured out. What if I don't know my parents and every time I hear that word it makes me feel a certain way. Would you change it? Probably not. Could have just called them letter and number pages to begin with.

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which is utterly meaningless.

But this topic has been interesting in disproving the idea that ID requires a certain IQ level. I'll have to remember it the next time a consulting client says ID's learning curve is too steep.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So people with some common sense are dumb?

Thank you, I'm waiting for th next generation which will think your generation didn't go far enough. Have fund with your stupid inclusive language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this discussion has now run its course, and we can now lock it.

For those of you that want to continue this discussion, use the UserVoice link in the correct answer.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines