• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why will the Type tool not work?

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was working on a project in InDesign, and I needed to use the Type tool. I clicked on it and tried to create a text box on my artboard but nothing would appear. I tried this several times and nothing happened. I have never had this issue before. I read that it may be helpful to "trash" the preferences, so I tried the keyboard shortcut and nothing happened. Everything else appears to be working fine. I am new to this program and don't know anything about how to fix these things.

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]
[Comments is to ask about the operation of the Forum, not a specific program]
[Moved from the Comments forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Try deleting your InDesign cache files (which is not the same as trashing preferences).

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: With InDesign closed launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the “Caches” folder. Within the Caches folder find and delete the entire file “Adobe InDesign”. I find that deleting the cache file completely leads to a lasting change. 

For Windows Users: On W

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try deleting your InDesign cache files (which is not the same as trashing preferences).

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: With InDesign closed launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the “Caches” folder. Within the Caches folder find and delete the entire file “Adobe InDesign”. I find that deleting the cache file completely leads to a lasting change. 

For Windows Users: On Windows 7 and above the caches files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version [#]\<Language>\Cache.

If that does not work you might try manually deleting your preferences.

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: With InDesign closed Launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the following two files and delete them: “Adobe InDesign” and “com.adobe.InDesign.plist”. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

For Windows Users: You can try the quick way of resetting on a PC which is to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching InDesign and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset. There have been some recent reports that the window asking if you want to reset is not popping up but that the prefs are being reset anyway. If this works great but if it doesn’t you may have to manually delete them.

To do so:

On Windows 7 and above the preference files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>. Make sure that InDesign is closed when you do this. When you relaunch the program it will create  new preference files and the program will be at its default settings.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this. Thank you very much for such a complete answer. I couldn't find the folder you mentioned: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version [#]\<Language>\Cache. I tried to reset the preferences, and I think that worked. I'm not sure because I formed the text box by clicking and dragging, which I've never had to do before. Thanks again for the long, detailed answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope it continues to work out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me; thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither of these two fixes (Deleting the InDesign cache nor InDesign preferences) worked for me.

Each time I drag a box with the Type tool, no box is created. I can't type and see my letters. Typing actually changes which tool I'm using.

I click on the Type tool.

I click and hold on a blank spot in my document and drag to make a text box. When I let go, the box disappears. Typing any key changes the Type tool to whatever tool is for that key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2019 Jun 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WaltCD  wrote

…I click on the Type tool.

I click and hold on a blank spot in my document and drag to make a text box. When I let go, the box disappears. Typing any key changes the Type tool to whatever tool is for that key.

Hi WaltCD ,

would the following steps create a text frame in your document?

1. Copy some text to the clipboard.

2. Switch to your active document with the Selection Tool selected.

3. Paste.

How large is the rectangular area you do with the Type Tool before the text frame vanishes?

Try a larger area before you let go the mouse.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the answer that worked for me, thank you very much.

To add to what you've already noted in case someone is not drawing a tiny text frame and wondering why this happened to them. In my case, my document dimensions were already very small. I'm creating a profile photo for social media. So, my "regular" text frame would actually be quite tiny, considering. Anyone wanting to try this, make a really big text frame to be sure it works. You can resize it afterwards.

Thanks again for the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!! I have been having this problem for a few days off and on! It has been driving me nuts! This worked!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very helpful, this worked immediately. Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done this several times and it still reverts to the incorrect behavior after a couple of tries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered that using my own Workspace tends to mess this up, so I use one of the defaults. Not really ideal, but since I modify the Advanced workspace, it's not a dealbreaker. Would be nice if the type tool didn't break, though. Haven't seen any issues since I last posted here, though I've been using one of the default workspaces instead of my own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same issue, and before trying the solution here, I tried drawing out a type box outside my pages. It worked, I was able to drag it into the page and then was able to create boxes normally again. Might worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm just not doing it right, but I cannot find the folder you described, I can't reset preferences, I can't find the Cache, I do not know what I'm doing wrong. Even when I manage to copy and paste text into the text box it disappears if I try to change the type. This is super frustrating. I even updated Indesign hoping that would fix it, but it did not. When I tried to hold down the keys like you described that also did not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @defaultpn7s0lr8z2j5,

We apologize for the frustration you're experiencing with the Type Tool in InDesign. We understand how important it is to address this issue promptly. To assist you better, could you please provide us with the following information?

• The version of InDesign is installed on your machine.
  • Details about your operating system.
  • Is the issue occurring consistently across all InDesign files or only specific ones?
  • If possible, could you create a short video demonstrating the behavior you're experiencing? This would help us gain a clearer understanding of the problem.

We will make every effort to assist you.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Indesign 18.4x64 - the most recent update.
Windows 10 version 22H2
I don't have a video, next time it happens I will take one. I kept
uninstalling and reinstalling and restarting my computer until I got it to
work again because I have to use Indesign at work. But this has happened at
least 4 or 5 times now and I would really like for it to stop happening.
We do have a Connect Fonts powered by suitcase plugin, I don't know if that
is causing an issue?
It seems to just happen randomly, I don't know what's causing it and I
can't figure out how to fix it other than going nuclear with uninstalling
and reinstalling and restarting.
Thanks,
Penny
--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines