Exit

Will InDesign CC and Creative Cloud in general run on Macbook Air

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The requirements state a

• Multicore Intel processor

is required. I don't know if the Core i5 is multicore or not on my Macbook air.

I tried a Google search but no luck.

Will InDesign CC run on my Macbook Air?

Q

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:MacBook Air
  Model Identifier:MacBookAir7,2
  Processor Name:Intel Core i5
  Processor Speed:1.6 GHz
  Number of Processors:1
  Total Number of Cores:2
  L2 Cache (per Core):256 KB
  L3 Cache:3 MB
  Memory:4 GB
  Boot ROM Version:MBA71.0166.B08
  SMC Version (system):2.27f2
  Serial Number (system):C1MQ9AMMG941
  Hardware UUID:D22FBA8D-10DF-52E6-B610-A2B1F5E75806

Model Nam

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

What operating system is on that machine? 4GB or RAM is going to really slow things down. In short, even it runs, it won’t run well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system is on that machine? 4GB or RAM is going to really slow things down. In short, even it runs, it won’t run well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get it. It's 4 Gig of ram. I have to upgrade the system to even try. So I'm wondering if it's worth it. This is just something for my wife to play around with. I'm wondering if I should buy an older version and just install that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is a professional pagelayout application with a learning curve and hardware/operating system requirement to match.

Older versions would be second hand and there’s no assurance you’d be able to install and activate them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To answer your original question, an iCore 5 is a multicore processor. It's just that what you listed as the processor speed and RAM make the Air unlikely to run well enough to enjoy the experience.

This is just something for my wife to play around with

Before spending a lot of money on hardware and software for your wife to explore, why not encourage her to take a few of the online courses at Lynda.com? The first month is free, after that it's very affordable. She can explore lots of programs, get a sense of how they work, what types of documents they create, etc.

There are also simpler design programs available from other companies she can explore, too.

And if she's still interested, then invest the money in a decent machine, as well as in serious training. The Creative Suite applications are pro-level software programs for the printing, graphic arts, digital media, and design industries. They are not user friendly or "intuitive" in any sense of the word.

Some people discover that they love this stuff and rework their career to pursue it.

Others run away screaming "get me outta here!"

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines