• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows Print Dialog gets in the way when printing in InDesign Windows 11 machine

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a new behavior I have observed with the latest InDesign update. I am running Version 18.0 x64 on Windows 11.

When I hit the Setup button on the Print dialog, instead of going to the printer-driver-specific dialog, I get a generic Windows Print dialog. If I click on the More Settings button on this dialog, I can get to the printer-specific dialog I want, but all the settings in that dialog have reverted to their defaults, and I need to reset them all. The settings revert to default even if I print the document again immediately. Previous versions of InDesign went straight to the printer-specific dialog, and saved the preferred settings there not only from one print to another, but as part of the file when saved and reloaded. 

Is there some setting to turn off the call to the Windows generic dialog? Having to reset everything in the printer dialog for every print is time consuming, and a source of errors. 

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Bug , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a workaround - as long as you use the same settings all the time - create a copy of your printer and set all your settings - you can even set your own, shorter name. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MountainThyme,

Thank you for reaching out. It looks like you're experiencing a similar issue reported here. This is a change brought up by Microsoft on Windows 11 machines. Please try the steps suggested in the post and let us know if that helps.

Thank you, @Robert Tkaczyk for sharing the workaround. I hope it helps the customers.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is funny how Adobe is blaming windows 11 for the problem when my Photoshop and Lightroom do not have that problem. I have used the workaround but I still don't get a preview and since I'm printing non-standard sizes I need the preview. It is time for Adobe to stop making excuses and fix the problem. I am paying a monthly subscription to have the latest and greatest software and I think I have a right to expect it to work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines