Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Won't let me export page range

Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to export a page range and Indesign keeps saying it "cannot find the specified page numbers".

Using this blog, I labelled my pages accordingly, but it continues to not recognize the range: https://indesignsecrets.com/solving-printing-exporting-confusion.php

I've even tried removing the section prefix and just use straight numbers. No luck. I've even tried using the + for absolute pages. No luck. It can't recognize anything!

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
B.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Update:

Had to uninstall ID, delete preferences, then reinstall. Everything works well now, except for ID being able to open my file via the Recent Files page. Still saying "this file either doesn't exist or you don't have permission to open it."

But the rest works

B.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this. Go to Preferences > General. In the Page Numbering menu, choose View > Absolute Numbering. Then try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve. Thanks!

Okay, well I have a couple of pages at the start that need different numbering (ie: i, ii, iii).

But I think I've found a glitch: it won't let me set numbering for multiple pages at once. I was selecting a range of pages in the pages panel, then numbering them accordingly. I just noticed that the secion numbering works for only one page and not the entire bunch that I just applied it to!

So to be clear: I have 195 pages. The first two are numbered i and ii. The rest are 1-195. Fine. BUT: It won't let me give section prefixes to multiple pages. I select the 1-195 and give it a section name of "main-" but it only affects one of those pages and not the rest! When I grab them all and go back into the section and numbering box, it says that they ALL have the prefix, but they don't!

B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm writing this as a reply so that others can see it more clearly.

The problem persists even in a new, black document. I have also noticed that when restarting Indesign, and trying to open a previous doc in their recent doc window, it will say "this file either doesn't exist or you don't have permission to open it."

These must be bugs, no?

B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

Had to uninstall ID, delete preferences, then reinstall. Everything works well now, except for ID being able to open my file via the Recent Files page. Still saying "this file either doesn't exist or you don't have permission to open it."

But the rest works

B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this didn't work for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a life saver! Thanks Steve!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked!  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Steve,

I had the same issue, but your fix worked for me, Thank you 🙂
I just had to change it from "Section Numbering" to "Absolute Numbering".

IPA31900935txoz_1-1693213121035.png

IPA31900935txoz_0-1693213065698.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a quick fix, I just used the "Create Separate PDF Files" option. Adobe Forum1.JPG

I was working with a ~250 pg book and it didn't but a few seconds. Then I just deleted the pages I didn't need and combined the ones I did need in Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidr28772832  wrote

For a quick fix, I just used the "Create Separate PDF Files" option. Adobe Forum1.JPG

I was working with a ~250 pg book and it didn't but a few seconds. Then I just deleted the pages I didn't need and combined the ones I did need in Adobe Acrobat.

Hi,

you could use absolute page names in the Range: field.

Example, you want all pages exported but the first two pages in your document, then just do:

+3-

Or if you want export all pages from page 1 of your document to page 10 (included), type:

-+10

Or if you like to export pages 3 and 4, 10 to 14 of your document, type:

+3,+4,+10-+14

Or if you want the first four pages of your document in reverse order, type:

+4,+3,+2,+1

Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines