• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word docx import failed

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting an "import failed" message while trying to import a Word.docx file (Word for Mac v. 16.41 with Office 365). I successfully imported a previous version of the file that had a font conflict (Cambria used in headings and footers). Changed all fonts to Times New Roman Regular and made some other global text corrections (e.g. phd to PhD, i to I, etc.). Created a new ID document to import corrected Word file, then got this error. Renamed and resaved the Word file to no avail. Using IDesign 15.1.2 with Creative Cloud on iMac 21.5-inch 2017, macOS Catalina 10.15.5.

Please advise. Thanks!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Thanks, Vladan. I couldn't get back to this project or respond for a couple of days due to my work schedule. This morning, I was ready to tackle it again, using your suggestion to save the Word file as an rtf. I thought that was a good idea. However, I thought I'd try placing the file one more time and, when I did, it worked with no problem. Go figure!

Thanks, again!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you Place the Word document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, always: File > Place

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried importing the newly saved Word file to the original ID document with the same result—"import failed." Perhaps something is wrong with the Word file, but I cannot think of what it could be. I made only the changes listed (changed fonts to Times New Roman and corrected grammatical errors).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to share the Word doc with us via a DropBox or similar link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Chad. I couldn't get back to this project or respond for a couple of days due to my work schedule. This morning, I was ready to tackle it again and take you up on your offer to look at the Word file. However, I thought I'd try placing the file one more time and, when I did, it worked with no problem. Go figure!

Thanks, again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sometimes may help if you save your .docx file in .doc or .rtf and then try to place it in indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Vladan. I couldn't get back to this project or respond for a couple of days due to my work schedule. This morning, I was ready to tackle it again, using your suggestion to save the Word file as an rtf. I thought that was a good idea. However, I thought I'd try placing the file one more time and, when I did, it worked with no problem. Go figure!

Thanks, again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines