• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word to inDesign with bilingual language using table

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I curently working an annual report project with estimated ~500 pages. I find some strugle when I must input those pages word from Office to InDesign because so many pages. Usually, I input manually with copy paste paragraph per paragraph. So is there any posible way to input those file to InDesign with some condition:

• The layout is bilingual side-by-side, either word or indesign file
  • The word file using table to write those bilingual word, but in InDesign using textbox

This is the preview on bilingual word file

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 22.14.36.png

and this is preview layout on the InDesign file

masb2t_0-1704209012662.png

I try directly place word file to InDesign and it work, but, the paragraph still in table format, so when I face a long paragraph it can't continuously to the next page because the table format, so is there any solution for this?

and sorry for my bad english, because I rarely used english language for conversation. I hope you can understand what I'm trying to explain.

Thank you all!

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Hi, @kucingtirud — feel free to post in your native language if you can express yourself more easily. The translation feature here works very well, especially with the narrow technical vocabulary we use.

There are many ways to import content from Word to InDesign and as long as the Word formatting is clean and organized, it often works very well. But tables are a problem in that each application handles them somewhat differently. In particular, InDesign does not break rows across pages (at lea

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Hi @kucingtirud , There is also the Convert Table to Text... command, which might be useful in your case. Select the text inside of the table and choose Table>Convert Table to Text... and you will be prompted to choose the Column and Row Separators:

Screen Shot 1.pngScreen Shot 2.png

Here I’ve inserted a Frame Break character after the English version and the French moves to the next frame

Screen Shot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @kucingtirud — feel free to post in your native language if you can express yourself more easily. The translation feature here works very well, especially with the narrow technical vocabulary we use.

There are many ways to import content from Word to InDesign and as long as the Word formatting is clean and organized, it often works very well. But tables are a problem in that each application handles them somewhat differently. In particular, InDesign does not break rows across pages (at least, not well). There are some workarounds, but for the most part cells must fit vertically on each page. So you can't use Word's method of a single row that breaks repeatedly across many pages.

There was a similar question and topic recently, about having parallel pages of bilingual mateiral. I will add a link when I finish this message, if I can find that discussion. It will have expanded details on some of these basic points.

The only good way to do side-by-side content is to use two text flows, and flow one language into each flow. This would be set up on the document's Parent (or 'Master') pages, with a two-column physical layout and a separate text frame in each column.

To keep text synchronized, you will have to set up selective styles that will break the text to the next frame, and restart the flow with such breaks as often as needed. If the two texts have been carefully written and translated, they should stay mostly synchronized with some empty lines on one side or the other at the bottom of some pages.

If that's not enough detail on the technique, feel free to ask and one of us here will explain further. Someone else may have a better idea overall, as well; there are several expert users here who have experience with translated and multi-language documents.

Let me see if I can find that relevant topic... I think this is it:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/bilingual-book-design/m-p/14261109#M552263

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's rather manual work...

With tables - you'll have three options:

1. break rows manually,
  2. simulate broken rows,
  3. use script for 1. or 2..

Which point you would choose, depends on how often the text will be edited and how much it will "move"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @kucingtirud , There is also the Convert Table to Text... command, which might be useful in your case. Select the text inside of the table and choose Table>Convert Table to Text... and you will be prompted to choose the Column and Row Separators:

Here I’ve inserted a Frame Break character after the English version and the French moves to the next frame

Screen Shot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As James wrote, the most natural way for such a layout is obviously the use of 2 flows, one for the left part, the other for the right part.
There will remain the alignment of the first paragraph lines, that is another matter! …

Just for comment:

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines