Exit

Working between a Mac and PC

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So, at work I use at Mac.

For remote working I need a laptop. If I went with the Microsoft Surface book will I be able to open my InDesign files I have created on the Mac on a or do I need a Mac Book Pro?

Thanks in advacne,

Chantelle

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Running like versions of InDesign (or any CC app), you should have no problem working cross-platform, as long as you have the same fonts available on both systems. Open Type fonts are essential to such a workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this conversation is a few months old but I've been reading the hole conversation which has been explaining the issues I have with a Mac and Windows workflow, RIGHT up to the final hurdle where nobody has a solution for the broken links.

As other have said, regardless of how your files are structured inside the NAS, the root of the filepath will be different due to the differnce in how Windows and Mac label volumes/discs/drives whatever you want to call them.

So you can open the file on either platform fine, but every link in every file will be broken if you open it on Mac when it was last saved in Windows or visa versa.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines