Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Working with book feature for a book series

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm working on a series that includes 3 books. I need to include the same 'User Guide'  in each book.

Would it be possible to create one document of the guide and use that document in 3 different book files (using InDesign's book feature)? This would be ideal in case I make any changes to the guide I would only have to do it once for all 3 books.

Any information would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Gina

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should work the way you want - page numbers should be automatically changed depends on the INDB file you open. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you can also place an INDD file as one part of a single overall InDesign file... that is, your Guide would be one article or element, placed in a single 'master' document representing book 1, book 2, etc. That would make things like page numbering (controlled by the layout of each  master document) simple and consistent, and avoids some of the quirks of using the Book feature. Edits to the Guide doc would be reflected in all placements.

But the Book feature would work for this purpose as well.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your time and response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines