• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Working with very large XML data sets

Participant ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on building documents from very large XML data sets consisting of close to 100k records, where each record has over a dozen nested data points. Is there a way to speed up InDesign's processing time for files like this? 

When I tested a file with 4k records InDesign manages to build the document in about 2 min. But with an 88k record file it has been running for over 20 hours and still only shows as halfway through!

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only have modest experience with XML in InDesign, but my first thought is that an XML file of that scale is simply beyond ID's grasp. InDesign does have limits on the number of component files, documents, pages, cross references and so forth and while these limits are mostly quite generous (and accommodate even most advanced projects), I'd bet that such a huge multilayered structure is more than it can handle.

There's better expertise here, and either a better answer or a workable process might be forthcoming. But I'd start looking into ways to break the job into more manageable elements, perhaps a subset of the XML file into individual ID chapters.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign crashed and the import failed. Trying a couple of different approaches next: 1. Running the import on a beefier machine. 2. Breaking teh dataset up into 10k chuncks for import. I'll post here on how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming a system is basically capable of running InDesign, I think the only parameter that might affect an import like this is available RAM. (That is, GPU would be irrelevant, and more CPU power is not likely to make much of a difference except perhaps in overall processing time. But RAM would be critical, and this assumes there's plenty of scratch disk space as well.) If the system that's failed has 16GB or less, I'd seek a 32GB system to try above all other characteristics, and make sure there is plenty of free disc space as well — a free TB is probably not unreasonable.

And at that, the scale of the work may simply be past ID's capabilities. running into hard limits on number of objects, etc. But more RAM is the right direction to try again.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly are you trying to import? 

Maybe XML in your case isn't a right way? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the feedback here! As I mentioned below, I ended up breaking up the data into smaller chunks for import. During the process, it became clear that Indesign's handling of larger data sets is not linear. Importing 1k records took about 2min, 2k took 10 min, 3k took 35 min. 

After breaking up the data into smaller chunks, I was able to combine all of the imported data into a single document. Indesign had no issues at all working with the final document containing all of the combined data. In fact, all told, it only came out to around 130 pgs. 

All of this tells me that the issue here is with how Indesign handles the data import. If manually chunking the data fixes the issue, then Indesign should change the way they handle the import process to have the system do that data chunking automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you were able to finish the job. 

I can bet that the problem is with unlimited undo - I'm sure someone can write you a small script in JavaScript that first will disable the undo and then import your data - sorry, but I'm VB6 & Win man 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if there is a way to automate this chnuking process or improve Indesign's handling of XML during import? I need to automate this full end to end process for hundred of directories that are each hundreds of pages long. Me Manually breaking up the data was fine for a POC, but I need something I can actually implement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible - XML is just plain text file.

But, how do you get it? Maybe it could be generated / exported as smaller pieces? 

And do you really need XML? I've mentioned it already - maybe InDesign Tagged Text would be better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Robert. The data will be coming from an enterprise database, so XML is the best option for the overall workflow. We can break up teh XML into multiple files, but Indesign doesn't offer an option for importing multiple XML files directly into a layout. "Merge" replaces the existing content, and "Append" adds the data to the strcuture but not the layout. I need a to break up the import into multiple chunks (or files) that can be imported into the layout through an automated process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show an example of the finall layout ? If you've control over how you export data - I'll suggest it again - InDesign Tagged Text 😉 

Anyway, if you import those chunks into separate INDD files - you'll have two options:

1.  Book, 
  2.  Simple script to move pages between documents. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert, absolutely! I have attached a sample file that contains a sub-set of the information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was hoping for INDD file 😉

Anyway, that's what I've thought 😉 It's a plain text 😉

I'm not very good with XML capabilities - I was doing some custom XML exports but not imports on a large scale - those sections - 2x column text - are created automatically or do you need to make them manually / through script ?

Anyway - I would go for a Book option - just import smaller chunks and use Book option to export everything as one large PDF.

Or if you really need to have everything together - simple script to move pages to a final document.

Very easy to 100% automate it any way you want it - you would just need to select folder with all the XML / InDesignTaggedText files and come back after some time 😉 or leave it overnigth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines