Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Workspace reverts to Essential for every new document

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I'm having an issue where every document that I open reverts the workspace to Essential. Is there a way to set this to my desired setting and make it stick. I've scoured the forums and tried everything mentioned from clearing caches and preferences to uninstalling and reinstalling. I've set the workspace with no documents open and closed and reopened the app but it just reverts back to Essential when I open a new/existing document. 

Please help! This is driving me crazy as I have to do it every time I open a document. 

I'm on an iMac (2020) with InDesign 16.4.

Thanks

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select your desired workspace without any InDesign documents open, it will become the new default workspace for new InDesign documents.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek, 

Thanks for your reply. I have tried this but yet it still reverts to the default Essentials workspace not my preferred workspace that was set.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the InDesign preferences.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean trashing the preference file, I have have also tried this.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming you have tried to clear your preferences:

Below are instructions for a basic way - and also a link a way to clean the preferences deeper.

I've also provided a link to the official Adobe Cleaner Tool which will resolve most installation issues.

-----

The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt, Ctrl (and Apple/Cmd if working on a Macintosh). A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

----

A clean install

You can always try the creative cloud cleaner tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was happening to me. I deleted the Essentials workspace & relaunched ID. The Essentials workspace was recreated, but was no longer corrupt, allowing me to have my workspace load properly. 

/Users/~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 16.0/en_US/Workspaces/Essentials_CurrentWorkspace.xml

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi davecourtemanche, 

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately doesn't work for me. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do you have Suitcase Fusion running? I had the issue fixed. Then I just updated Fusion, which installs new plugins. The issue returned. Removed the Suitcase auto-activation and the issue is fixed.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. This is not typical behavior. I suggest you create a new user account (https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mtusr001/mac) and run your CC apps there. Let us know if you see similar behavior there.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines