• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workspace too large for my screen

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am lucky enough to own a 27 inch screen. On several occasions recently I have started an InDesign CC Session by opening a file that displayed perfectly the night before only to discover it is now in a workspace considerably larger than 27 inches ~~ and of course the bottom right corner is off my screen down by my knees somewhere. Reducing the size of the space until it fits on my screen is consequently a nightmare! {Does Adobe have many clients with one hundred inch screens? I think, not!} Please isolate this bug that creates ridiculously large unusable workspaces and eradicate it.

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Hi @BI6 EM:

When you exit InDesign, it saves your preferences and reads those files the next time it opens. Over time, these files often become corrupt and need to be rebuilt. That this tends to happen after a major update is a clue: we recommend disabling the Creative Cloud default to migrate preferences after an upgrade. The issues caused by corrupt cache and preferences tend to be more problematic when you leave the feature enabled during updates.

See https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are the only user to report this that I've seen, which makes it more likely a problem on your system than with InDesign.

It will help to know what that system is, and if you have more than one monitor. Also which verion of INDesign youar using, including the minor version number.

In the meantime, are you able to access the menus so that you can try resetting the workspace or changing to a different workspace?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Replier,

Windows 10 Pro, fully updated/i9 CPU/ASUS MoBo/Saphire AMD 5500 Nitro
GPU/16GB RAM/Current fully up-to-date InDesign CC/Iiyama 2560x1440.

One Monitor, and yes I can access the menus, just not the custom size
control, bottom right of my workspace.
It's just as well I can access the menus because currently InDesign opens
on my system with NO TOOLS. My very first task is
WINDOW~~WORKSPACE~~ESSENTIALS CLASSIC; something else that would be cured
by my suggestion below.

Very surprised to find I'm the only client suffering from this.

Can I suggest that InDesign CC be made to REMEMBER the setup that it exits
from and rebuilds it next time it's opened. I know it can remember things
because it hides my save as files in the last place it saved
to~~irrespective of where it got them from!

Thank for your reply.
B16 EM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @BI6 EM:

Doesn't clicking the Maximize button take care of resizing the workspace to fit the current screen? 

(Mac: green circle on the top left of workspace; Win: button to the left of the close button on the top right)

Are you on a Mac with Window > Application Frame disabled?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Barb,

Sorry, answering out of chronology.

Wintel, Win 10 Pro. Nothing disabled to my knowledge.

'Doesn't clicking the Maximize button take care of resizing the workspace to fit the current screen?'

Yes it does, but I have my Pages and Styles windows open all the time and they cover the side bar in full screen.

Your {and others} suggestion of rebuilding preferences has improved the problem, I rarely lose the bottom right hand corner of my workspace now.

Strangely two knock-ons.

1) I still erratically log onto InDesign CC and find I have no tools.

2) Adobe have changed the nomenclature of the Workspaces.

I now have to use 'Book' instead of 'Essentials Classic'.

Why? I mean WHY? It's not as if that change improved anything, just change for the sake of.

If the trendy-tony that thought that one up needs to change something, he could stop InDesign changing its file format every 36 hours or so. Enabling it to recognise that the file I Save As-ed yesterday; and did some minor editing on it today; can safely be just Saved, rather than being regarded as an alien interloper.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

B16 EM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even see the Minimize / Maximize part of the title bar at the very top so InDesign is stuck on my laptop and the only way to move it is to shut the top while plugged into another monitor. I think it may have happened when swapping windows some how and then I quit the program hoping it would fix it. The issues continue due to the preference thing you oint out I believe, but I cannot figure out how to clear that out either. And Application Frame was on already.  Can this be fixed?
_Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in response. Are you still experiencing the issue? If yes, please click on Windows and then ensure that the application frame is checked. 

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Dear Rishabh,

Yes, I am.

Indesign is supposed to remember my settings and reinstate them every time
I log on. {Unquote Adobe.} It does if there has been no update. But as we
all know Adobe updates InDesign several times a month with tiny tweeks that
just mess up the file system; requiring users to save their work to the new
tiny tweaked format.

Every so often there is a major update and *everything *goes to the hot
place in a basket; Workspace, Toolbars ~~ everything.

Adobe, learn the old adage 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!' Especially
don't tweek it with tiny alterations that do nothing, other than upset your
customers.

M&P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem in the past where it would expand to the full size of all my monitors (four 27 in, 4K/uHD monitors in a 2x2 grid). It did not fill all four monitors--ID as simply sized that large. I simply repositioned the app to a single monitor and double-clicked the top bar to maximize it to a single monitor. It was annoying but not a show stopper.

However, I have not had this problem in months. What [exact] version of ID are you using?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Replier,

I am always using the latest version of InDesign CC {Autoupdate}.

This bug usually happens after a Major Update, occasionally a Minor Update.

Not had it in the last month or so, Thank Goodness.

Thanks for replying.

B16 EM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @BI6 EM:

When you exit InDesign, it saves your preferences and reads those files the next time it opens. Over time, these files often become corrupt and need to be rebuilt. That this tends to happen after a major update is a clue: we recommend disabling the Creative Cloud default to migrate preferences after an upgrade. The issues caused by corrupt cache and preferences tend to be more problematic when you leave the feature enabled during updates.

See https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/ to rebuild these files manually.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines