• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wrong margins settings

Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I inadvertently set the margins wrong when I set the pages up. I set them at 0.5 in. and they should be 0.75. The top and bottom margins I set at 1.0 in. for both I reset the top margin at 0.75 and left the bottom at 1.0. The book is part of a series so the page size must remain the same (.9.5 x 11.5).  I set up an alternate layout with the correct settings. It's necessary for the pages to start and end up with the same words in the correct layout. There are many endnotes in the book. They don't show up correctly in the alternate (correct) layout.  How do I get the alternate to be the primary and get the endnotes to correct themselves?

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

There are many ways to change the page setup after craetion. Take a look at these:

• Under File | Document Setup, simply change the page size and other characteristics as needed.
  • Under Layout | Margins and Columns, adjust the margins to suit the correct layout.

From there, the layout will be correct without alternate Parent pages (delete any extras you may have created). You might have to do further steps to adjust the text frames to the new pages, but if it does not automatically do so, there

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many ways to change the page setup after craetion. Take a look at these:

• Under File | Document Setup, simply change the page size and other characteristics as needed.
  • Under Layout | Margins and Columns, adjust the margins to suit the correct layout.

From there, the layout will be correct without alternate Parent pages (delete any extras you may have created). You might have to do further steps to adjust the text frames to the new pages, but if it does not automatically do so, there are several approaches to that.

Worst case, create an entirely new file with the correct page layout, then cut all the content from the first one and paste it into the new one so that it auto-flows.

Not sure if that will fix the endnote issue but if you're matching a prior layout, it should.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to work for the page I have open. Is there a way to apply this to all the pages at one time?
BTW, thank you for the tip. If I have to do it page by page I can do that. 😊

Sent from Mail<> for Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make the change on the parent page. In the Pages panel the page you are editing probably has a letter on its thumbnail and that letter is probably A. Double-click on A-Parent then change the margins. Any page based on that parent page will change as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had already gone through page by page to make the margins and the page size right. Thank you for the tip though.

Get Outlook for iOS<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you could have used my free script https://www.id-extras.com/snap-margins-to-text-frame/

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I’m a real novice at using InDesign and many other computer programs. If I were to download this I’m not sure how to get it to work. I think I will save this and try it on the next book I set up. I’m going to make a practice book and mess around creating all these problems I’ve run into so far. That way I hope to learn some solutions to the problems and if it gets ruined it won’t matter. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from Mail<> for Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines