• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All files getting damaged/ corrupted after upgrading to inDesign v16.3

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since we upgraded to 16.3 our files are consistently being corrupted. We repair them, resave them, and then it happens again. This is happening to our entire team (we each have our own login accounts). We have tried:

• uninstalling and reinstalling 16.3
  • uninstalling and going back to 16.2
  • uninstalling and going back to 15.1.3
  • recreating the file
  • opening a file from March and updating it
  • emailing Adobe support directly
  • Google searching the error messages
  • Reading every "learn more" option provided
  • Sending reports every time we are given the option

None of these have fixed the problem and it seems to be getting worse each day. The first week it was occasional, the second week it happened more often than not. Now it is every time we open a project file and sometimes it's even crashing InDesign altogether or not repairing the file.

Desperate for help...

{Renmade by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are the files being corrupted? You say you can open and "repair" them. What are you "repairing" to continue?

Are you using Windows machines, Macs or both? Where are your InDesign files and linked files stored? What are the error messages you're seeing?

We're happy to help, but we need a bunch more information about what you're experiencing to be able to lend a hand.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we knew how they were being corrupted, I think we'd have our solution!

1. The initial message when we try to open says: InDesign detected that the file "XXX" is damaged. Would you like us to try to repair the file? The file may be temporarily processed on our servers. 
  2. When we say "yes" it does some scrolly bar stuff and the says: InDesign has repaired "XXX". Some information may have been lost. We recommned you save this file before working further.
  3. Then we choose "Save As" and rename it. The next time we open that file we circle back to the first message.

At least that's what WAS happening. Now, we sometimes get a message: InDesign could not repaire "XXX". To prevent such file issues in the future, please check the support documentation. This gives a Close and Learn More option. The Learn More goes to https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html which doesn't provide anything helpful for our situation. Or it will "repair" and instead of opening it crashes InDesign altogether. 

We are only using Windows PCs and our files are stored on a server (same place they have been, no change there).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

In-house physical server or cloud server?

Are you working off the server?

Or are you downloading packages to local desktops and working on local systems? If you try this option, do you get the same results, or does this help you past your immediate issues?

Have you tried exporting files to IDML, then re-opening them in InDesign and saving as new INDD files? If you haven't, try this and let us know how this works for you.

And let me offer some outside reading which may help you in your efforts:

https://creativepro.com/editing-indesign-files-directly-off-a-server-crazy â€” old school arguments, but germs of this discussion are still relevant to issues you're contending with today

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1631944-indesign-corrupt-files — the last comment offers relevant information for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loXAjL-ICLo — Options for advanced file recovery, as well as specifically addressing network problems

Finally, I'm trying to help here. I understand you're frustrated, but I'm an end user just like you. If you're looking for help, I'm willing to try. If you're looking for a fight, you need to go somewhere else. 'Cause I'm not interested in that.

Honestly, I hope this helps.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies if I said something that made you feel like I was picking a fight - certainly not my intention! I appreciate any and all help we can get and am grateful for your time.

I am not an IT person, so I will do my best to answer your additional questions the best I can. Our server is and in-house physical server that we access via the cloud. We work of the server currently but will attempt to move a file to the desktop and see what happens. We haven’t been able to try the IDML option because we can’t open the corrupt files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I understand this correctly, y'all are accessing a physical server, but through the cloud.

Are you working from home and trying to get files from the office server? Or do you have a physical server somewhere remote where you are accessing it in your shop through the cloud? Either way, I think this may have a bunch to do with your problem.

It takes a lot of network bandwidth to work with remote InDesign files over the cloud. Exponentially more when a bunch of you are doing it at the same time. And that has the potential for introducing, to use technical terms, a lot of bad juju into the system. Your description of the files becoming increasingly more difficult to work with over time is an indication of that. Not to apologize for Adobe, but I don't think the update to 16.3 is the issue so much as you're approaching the point where you enter into a World of Hurt.

If you can pull down a packaged folder with an InDesign file and its linked graphics and fonts to your desktop, and that works well on your computer — but not through the cloud drive — we're down to two possibilities for your World of Woe. One is errant lock files, which is the most likely issue. The other is general networking/access issues, where you will need help from your IT people. 

Let's deal with the one where you can help with the solution. InDesign lock files (.idlk) are created whenever you open an InDesign file. These are the files that keep other people out of your InDesign document while you work on it. That's a good thing.

Across remote resources though, your systems have problems releasing/deleting those .idlk files when closing InDesign files. Which means when you go back to those documents nobody can get back into them. Unless you remove the .idlk files from your remote resources.

Here's how you do that:

1) Everybody has to exit from InDesign. You can keep your computers on, but InDesign needs to be shut down everywhere in your workgroup. Everywhere.

2) Go to your cloud resources, and do a search for *.idlk to find every orphaned InDesign lock file you have scattered through your resources. Search the entire resources, no matter how long it takes. Don't be surprised if your resources are polluted with them.

3) Since you're all tied to those resources remotely, and every system in your group has InDesign shut down, all those files are debris. You can delete them without repercussions. Kill them all.

4) Now go back to your cloud resources and try to open one of those trouble InDesign files again.

More likely than not, this will be the end of your problems ... for a while. If it isn't, you're dealing with more difficult networking issues and will need serious IT support. But even if it does work, you want to inform your IT staff what happened and how you've fixed it in the short term. They should be able to come up with better fixes for you than I'm offering here.

This doesn't fix the problem so much as beat it into submission for a while. Without serious IT support in the near term, you're going to be back in this fight again. But hopefully this will get you well down the road to recovery. Please give this a try and let me know how it's worked for you. I won't let you die alone on this hill, I promise. We'll go down in flames together.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the links, I just finished reviewing them and they are helpful in understanding how to recover files. We are (mostly) able to recover the documents; the question we really need help with is the "why." Why since version 16.3 is every file being corrupted? The recovery process is tedious and doesn't always work. The file corruption is the symptom, but we need to understand the illness in order to treat it. The only thing that has changed from everything working beautifully to the mess we are now in is version 16.3 update. Yet, going back to 16.2 doesn't fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

I've been having this exact issue the last two days and I'm not using a server.

I'm on a Mac and running InDesign 16.3.2, so I'm doubtful the server is the problem. 

Here are the warning signs I am getting:

Thanks,

Renee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you made a search for .idlk files yet?

If you haven't, I'd give it a shot and follow the steps above. You don't have to run from the cloud to have a bunch of junk InDesign lock files.

Give it a try. You may get lucky, even without a server.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got into the office and will try this now. Thank you for the lead. 

The server is physically in our building and is custom built and used soley by our team, and we upgraded our internet back in May/June; so I really don't think it is a bandwidth issue. The locked files makes sense as a possible culprit. I've had similar issues with database files in MS Access in the past. 

As soon as the team logs out, I'll give it a shot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So.... I don't think the idlk files are the issue.

Our server has over 25K files (60GB) and only 11 idlk files came up; of those, only three were recent and only two were from files we've acutally had issues with. I have deleted them and we'll see, but I'm not overly optimistic since there were so few.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad to know we aren't crazy. Hopefully we can both get help and answers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randy and Michaela,

Randy, you are a genius. I deleted all .idlk files on all of my drives and InDesign seems to be working just fine now. Fingers crossed. I will keep you both posted. Thank you so much!

If it's not too complicated to explain why this solved the issue, I'd be very interested to know why this worked. 

Renee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops. I spoke too soon.

One file worked just fine. I just opened another and had the same issue, so it hasn't been resolved. 

Renee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just called Adobe Support. They recommended installing the previous version of InDesign, which I did and it now seems to be working fine. Apparently this is a bug/issue in the most current version of InDesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RignitP Could you share the number you called? I've looked everywhere and have been unable to find a customer support number for this. We did go back to 16.2 but were still having corruption issues. Maybe there is a different way we need to do that... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure! 1 (800) 833-6687

I wish you the best of luck! 

Renee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @RignitP,

Sorry for the delayed response. Glad to hear this issue got resolved by downgrading the InDesign version. But I would request you to share a few more details and try installing v16.3 in your free time and check out few things like: 

• OS and version of your InDesign in which you faced this issue
  • Please share a damaged sample document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
  • Where are you saving the files (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?
  • Are you able to open files in v16.3 if you save them locally?
  • Are you able to create a new document and open them up later without any errors in v16.3?
  • Were there any recent changes made to your systems? For example, any antivirus, system updates, or web extensions installed recently.

I will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue not truly resolved for us, although I am working with Adobe Customer Support as well. Most of this information has been provided, but here it is in a more compiled fashion:

• All of us use Windows 10 Pro and the issue began when we upgraded InDesign to 16.3.
  • We are able to repair the files, so I don't have a currently corrupt file to share, but can do so at the next occurance.
  • We have a physical server in our building that we access through the cloud.
  • We have been experimenting with locally saved files, and seen better results, but this is not a feasible longterm solution as we work collaboratively.
  • We can create new documents and save them, but eventually the are corrupt as well.
  • The only recent change was the upgrade to 16.3 - we seem to have it narrowed down to some time of compatibility issue with 16.3 and our server.

At this time customer support had me downgrade to 16.2.1 (which did not orignally work for me) but he also deleted my preferences and deleted/renamed some of the Adobe files and that does appear to be working (so far). I am still waiting for someone to call back (it's been 3 days) to assist my other team members.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry for the delayed response. I can understand your frustration. I would like to know if you are still facing this issue. If yes, I would request you to share a few more details like: 

• Operating System
  • Screenshot of the error message
  • Please share a damaged sample document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
  • Are you able to open files in v16.3 if you save them locally?
  • Are you able to create a new document and open them up later without any errors in v16.3?
  • Were there any recent changes made to your systems? For example, any antivirus, system updates, or web extensions installed recently.

I will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about your experience. We have launched Adobe InDesign 16.4 recently with multiple bug fixes and performance improvement.

Please update your app to the latest version. Let us know if you still have any issues. We'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.

InDesign 16.4

macOS 10.15.7

Intel-based 27" iMac

Reverting back to InDesign 16.3.2 seemed to work for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corruption may be overstating it.  When we upgraded our version of inDesign, the new one would revise any file opened - making the file unopenable in the older version.  Since we had a couple of workstations running different versions, that was a big problem.  This lack of compatibility is built into the software, and as far as we know, no simple fix after the files have been saved on the upgraded format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Larry:

When we upgraded our version of inDesign, the new one would revise any file opened - making the file unopenable in the older version.

This is how InDesign has always worked. Files created in older versions can be opened by newer versions—they will show [CONVERTED] on the tab bar by the filename—and you will be forced to Save as even when you choose File > Save so that you don't inadvertantly overwrite the previous version. 

If you attempt to open a file from a newer version you will get a message like this, offering to convert it back:

2023-02-26_07-09-03.png

This is not an ideal workflow in an workgroup environment. Ideally, the whole office is on the same version so that none of this goes on. That's part of the idea behind the creative cloud subscription — the upgrades are included, so everyone can upgrade at the same time.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines