Highlighted

Adobe indesign keeps defaulting to typing in arabic?

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started using indesign, and whenever I type the font defaults to adobe arabic, and the dictonary defaults to arabic. I don't speak arabic, and i never specified a download of an arabic version. In addition, whenever i paste in text, the period shows up on the left side, and everything deletes from the left side. Does anybody know how to stop defaulting to arabic, and typing from right to left?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe indesign keeps defaulting to typing in arabic?

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started using indesign, and whenever I type the font defaults to adobe arabic, and the dictonary defaults to arabic. I don't speak arabic, and i never specified a download of an arabic version. In addition, whenever i paste in text, the period shows up on the left side, and everything deletes from the left side. Does anybody know how to stop defaulting to arabic, and typing from right to left?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign? What operating system?

If you are using InDesigh CC (one of the Creative Cloud versions), open the the Creative Cloud desktop app (in the menu bar (Mac) or task bar (Windows). Choose Preferences from the menu at the upper right:

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 8.21.12 PM.png

Click on Creative Cloud > Apps and tell me what App Language shows there:

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 8.20.24 PM.png

Another source of the wrong language could be the character Language attribute has been set by default to the wrong one.

With no file open, view the Character panel (or the Character Formatting option on Control panel), and look at the Language setting:

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 8.26.30 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sam,

Steve is right. This generally happens when you have an Arabic version installed on your system. Please change the language from the Creative Cloud app and install the English version. If you need Arabic version for your work but still need a different font as your default font, simply save and close all the open documents and go to Type > Character and change the font (See video: Adobe Creative Cloud ).

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
ssharp35 LATEST
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And don't forget to go into Document Setup and select left to right binding.

Steve

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines