Highlighted

[Ann] Identify Your InDesign File

Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A CS4 & upwards compatible script -- if anyone dares to try it out in a lower version, please do so. It pops up a standard file dialog where you can select any file, and the script will dive into it and see what version of InDesign it was last saved with.

Download the zip from my website: identify.zip -- unpack, and put "IDentify.jsx" to the folder where you put all of your User scripts.

Things it does

It shows the file name, file type (as stored in the file), and version of InDesign files from InDesign version CS up to CS5.5 (tested). It does not work for ID 1.0, 1.5, 2.0. It may not work for versions after CS5.5.

Things it doesn't

It does not open the newer files in your old CS3.

It does not identify IDML files (nor anything else, by the way, than InDesign files).

It does not Fix Your Broken Files.

Written using CS4, so it may or may not work on older or newer versions.

Things I won't

"Upgrade" it to actually open the newer files in your old CS3.

Explain how it works.

Unobfuscate to make it clear how it works.

Respond to Private Mail inquiries of how it works.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

[Ann] Identify Your InDesign File

Dec 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A CS4 & upwards compatible script -- if anyone dares to try it out in a lower version, please do so. It pops up a standard file dialog where you can select any file, and the script will dive into it and see what version of InDesign it was last saved with.

Download the zip from my website: identify.zip -- unpack, and put "IDentify.jsx" to the folder where you put all of your User scripts.

Things it does

It shows the file name, file type (as stored in the file), and version of InDesign files from InDesign version CS up to CS5.5 (tested). It does not work for ID 1.0, 1.5, 2.0. It may not work for versions after CS5.5.

Things it doesn't

It does not open the newer files in your old CS3.

It does not identify IDML files (nor anything else, by the way, than InDesign files).

It does not Fix Your Broken Files.

Written using CS4, so it may or may not work on older or newer versions.

Things I won't

Explain how it works.

Unobfuscate to make it clear how it works.

Respond to Private Mail inquiries of how it works.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jongware - that looks good. Not sure what I'll use it for.

Where did the need for this come from though?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eugene Tyson wrote:

Thanks Jongware - that looks good. Not sure what I'll use it for.

You must be working exclusively with the Very Latest Version.

This is a tool for people who ask "why can't I open this file in my version of InDesign"; at least we can now unambiguously answer "because this file you got is newer, never mind what your client said."

(Or we could but we don't have to because now people can find out for themselves.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this will certainly have a use in my office where i'm on CS3; a colleague has CS4; another colleague has CS5; and soon a different colleague will have 5.5. now when i receive a file i can't open (with no PDF supplied either) i'll know who i have to kick off of which machine!

assuming it works in CS3... haven't tested that yet

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Jongware] wrote:

Things I won't

Aw. c'mon. What fun is that? <big wink>

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested this in CS3 and it appears to work. Magic!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry where can i locate the User scripts folder in 10.6.8?

and how should i launch the script?

sorry, i am script newbie!

thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10.6.8 must be your OS version, because InDesign is not there yet. Neither is Windows, so (guessing again) you must be using Mac OS X? If you don't get a pop-up menu when you right-click your User scripts in the Scripting panel there may be something wrong with your computer or with InDesign (or possibly the right button on your mouse).

Did you try the online help? It should direct you here: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WS0836C26E-79F9-4c8f-8150-C36260164A87a.html

You could also read http://indesignsecrets.com/how-to-install-scripts-in-indesign.php

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nifty script and works in 10.3.7 as well as CS5.

Another useful Jongware script*

* This is not a paid endorsement.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I can open a CS5.5—with Soxy— and it will then script it and save as CS5.5 rather than auto open the IDD as CS 6? More clarification please.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the script does is tell you what version of InDesign the selected file was saved in. It doesn't open it, save it, or do any other modifications.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kat clearly didn't read the "Things it Does Not" section

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Jongware] wrote:

Kat clearly didn't read the "Things it Does Not" section

...like it... i like the "Things I won't" section even more hahahaha...clearly a need to be told!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines