Highlighted

Best Imposition Software for Offeset Printing Process

New Here ,
May 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I work for a printing company, primarily focused on label production, and also general flat paper based commercial printing.

We use Adobe CC applications for our pre-press production software, and are looking at assessing the best imposition solutions for going from artwork to plates for process jobs or pdfs for digital jobs.

The main purpose for this would be to streamline operator task efficiency, ease-of-use, limitation reduction, etc. to get the most out of our time on the job.

What imposition solutions have you guys had good experience with in a print production context?

We use Agfa Apogee. It is a complete prepress system.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Best Imposition Software for Offeset Printing Process

New Here ,
May 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I work for a printing company, primarily focused on label production, and also general flat paper based commercial printing.

We use Adobe CC applications for our pre-press production software, and are looking at assessing the best imposition solutions for going from artwork to plates for process jobs or pdfs for digital jobs.

The main purpose for this would be to streamline operator task efficiency, ease-of-use, limitation reduction, etc. to get the most out of our time on the job.

What imposition solutions have you guys had good experience with in a print production context?

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any open source / free software for this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For PDF print publishing workflows, page imposition is best performed at the RIP itself. Virtually every modern PDF workflow system, RIP, and DFE (for digital printers) has support for imposition. Ideally, that is where it should be done!

Only when printing PDF files to non-PDF direct devices should one even consider imposition in Acrobat itself. There are a number of products that provide such imposition services within Acrobat as plug-ins. The recommendations of Eugene Tyson should be taken seriously.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, Principal Scientist, Adobe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that this is over a year since you posted this, but I'm curious why you say "page imposition is best performed at the RIP itself.".  I can think of a number of reasons, cost being the big one, why imposing prior to ripping is better.  I have heard a number of people say this, but so far no-one has given me an answer that conclusively prooves this theory.  Exactly why, do you feel this way?

Ron

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you meant to say "Shouldn't be take seriously"

Sorry I forgot to mention the Fiery RIP which we use also has booklet features, but it can't do everything required for imposition.

Of course, my favourite imposition software is Preps, http://www.kodak.com/ek/us/en/prinergy-workflow/platform/preps-imposition-software/default.htm

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
May 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
May 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which rip are you using?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines