Highlighted

Best workflow to reproduce documents with multiple languages

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For my company here I need to evaluate and suggest the best and fastest workflow / solution to make communication documents created with Indesign (brochures, posters, etc) become quickly available in many other languages.

Every document (ex: Posters), have multiple pages, yet each page represent a different topic. That means the poster layout is the same on all pages but with a different text/topic.

Then the pages are exported as seperate PDF documents (ex: seperate posters).

We already have the multiple languages ready. All the text of these documents/pages are already translated in different Word documents. But the text is placed in the the Word docs inside tables where avery cell represents a container in the InDesign document.

In fact, when the languages we needed were not too many, we used to copy/paste from these Word Documents the content into the InDesign layouts. However, now we need to manage much more languages and the copy/paste process is becoming time consuming with possible errors...

I explored the classic method of Linking a Word Document to InDesign. We can't link  the actual translated Word documents since the content is in labeled tables as I mentioned. However, I did a test with a Word document featuring only the plain text of the translation. But no matter how I set in InDesign the Link options (ex: I select text without any formatting), if later I update or replace the Linked Word document, the InDesign paragraph and text formatting/styles are lost. I searched Online and I could not find any solution for this.

Then I noticed that we can Map the Styles of the Word document with the InDesign Paragraph Styles. Yet in this case, the translation service will have to format the Word Document layout styles or make sure the styles are not changed or broken during the translation process. This adds a complexity level to the process and we prefer to keep the translation process simple (i.e: a plain text in Word).  

All in all, our goal is to take our initial English documents/layout we created in InDesign, duplicate them and relink to each of the duplicates the Word Documents with the content of the other languages, and have the text containers in the InDesign layout updated with the new language. We certainly do not want to reformat the InDesign layout or reapply the paragraphs and type styles each time we replace or update the linked documents for every language.

Is there a good practice or WorkFlow you suggest for this process?

Thank you

Michel

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by TAW | Adobe Community Professional

If, instead of using multiple Word documents, you could have all the translations lined up in an Excel spreadsheet (i.e., each column would represent one phrase, and each row the translation of that phrase), it sounds like this should be doable with a simple data merge.

Would that work?

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Best workflow to reproduce documents with multiple languages

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For my company here I need to evaluate and suggest the best and fastest workflow / solution to make communication documents created with Indesign (brochures, posters, etc) become quickly available in many other languages.

Every document (ex: Posters), have multiple pages, yet each page represent a different topic. That means the poster layout is the same on all pages but with a different text/topic.

Then the pages are exported as seperate PDF documents (ex: seperate posters).

We already have the multiple languages ready. All the text of these documents/pages are already translated in different Word documents. But the text is placed in the the Word docs inside tables where avery cell represents a container in the InDesign document.

In fact, when the languages we needed were not too many, we used to copy/paste from these Word Documents the content into the InDesign layouts. However, now we need to manage much more languages and the copy/paste process is becoming time consuming with possible errors...

I explored the classic method of Linking a Word Document to InDesign. We can't link  the actual translated Word documents since the content is in labeled tables as I mentioned. However, I did a test with a Word document featuring only the plain text of the translation. But no matter how I set in InDesign the Link options (ex: I select text without any formatting), if later I update or replace the Linked Word document, the InDesign paragraph and text formatting/styles are lost. I searched Online and I could not find any solution for this.

Then I noticed that we can Map the Styles of the Word document with the InDesign Paragraph Styles. Yet in this case, the translation service will have to format the Word Document layout styles or make sure the styles are not changed or broken during the translation process. This adds a complexity level to the process and we prefer to keep the translation process simple (i.e: a plain text in Word).  

All in all, our goal is to take our initial English documents/layout we created in InDesign, duplicate them and relink to each of the duplicates the Word Documents with the content of the other languages, and have the text containers in the InDesign layout updated with the new language. We certainly do not want to reformat the InDesign layout or reapply the paragraphs and type styles each time we replace or update the linked documents for every language.

Is there a good practice or WorkFlow you suggest for this process?

Thank you

Michel

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by TAW | Adobe Community Professional

If, instead of using multiple Word documents, you could have all the translations lined up in an Excel spreadsheet (i.e., each column would represent one phrase, and each row the translation of that phrase), it sounds like this should be doable with a simple data merge.

Would that work?

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would that work?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines