• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Adjust Leading in InDesign (CC 2015)

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've seen a few people with this problem, but none of the solutions I've found have worked for me. I have a text box with a single sentence written using different typefaces and sizes. See below:

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 11.27.47.png

I want to move the top text down to the edge of the rectangle frame box so that the space between 'Win a' and '€250' is the same as '€250' and 'Voucher'. But it won't budge. If I select all the text I can alter the leading no problem. If I select 'voucher' on it's own, I can adjust it's leading no problem. If I select '€250', I can make the leading bigger, but not smaller. But 'Win a' will not move either way. It's not a case of the paragraph symbol being a different size to the text. I've already found that solution and it failed to fix my problem. The text is not aligned to a baseline grid, and the text box is not is set to 'top' and not 'justify'. I've encountered this problem before, but this is the first time it's bothered me enough to make me actively look for a solution. I really can't understand why one piece of text won't move, one will move limitedly, and the other can be adjusted with ease. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try checking Ignore Text Wrap in the text frame's Text Frame options dialog—in case any of the empty frames that your capture is showing have a text wrap applied. And in Preferences>Type uncheck Apply Leading to Entire Paragraphs—that will allow individual lines of a paragraph to have different leadings applied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Ignore Text Wrap option didn't do anything, and Apply Leading to Entire Paragraphs was already unchecked...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to get it using a sort of roundabout way. I was able to alter the leading for the entire text and move the '€250' to the spacing I wanted, and then was able to move the 'voucher' down on its own to match the leading between 'Win a' and '€250'. I don't know if this is the right way to fix the problem, but it certainly fixed it at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hugh_Jass  wrote

Apply Leading to Entire Paragraphs was already unchecked...

Yeah, that's the "problem"

Imho, this option should always be checked! Anyway...

Leading always depends on the largest leading value of a character.

What probably happened is that you just selected €250 instead of selecting.... €250¶

The end of paragraph character is a character, and its leading must be changed accordingly.

Or just check "Apply Leading to Entire Paragraphs" to make things easier: just place the insertion point where you want to change paragraph leading instead of having to deal with text selection.

250.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said in my initial post, I've already tried that technique and it hasn't solved my problem. The paragraph characters are the same size as their adjacent text. I've quadruple checked! Also, I wasn't trying to bring '€250' up, I was trying to bring 'Win a' down, so it matched the leading between '€250' and 'Voucher'. Is it just not possible to adjust the top line of text's leading? I managed to fix it, as I said previously, by selecting all the text and decreasing the overall leading, and then increasing the leading of voucher on its own. Is that the solution, or is it just a way of getting round the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it just not possible to adjust the top line of text's leading?

A line's leading is the distance from the line's baseline to the baseline of the line above, so you would have to work from the bottom up.

You can see it here where I've allowed a mix of leadings in a paragraph and the selected line is set at 38pt—the distance to the baseline of the line above:

Screen Shot 6.png

Screen Shot 5.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, okay. Thanks for explaining that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have inconsistent leading (visually) even though the leading space is the same. Maybe it's a bug?

Why does it say it's a 9pt leading throughout, if there's clearly a larger space after the 1st sentence?

I can't find any way of fixing it...

leading.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the leading on the text that is not highlighted?

Also, is there a return after the top paragraph? If so, the issue could be paragraph spacing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the other one is 12pt, yes, there's a return so I can start a new line.

Funny thing is that I get this different leading only if I left justify. If I switch back to align left without justification, the leading error is solved. But I need the whole paragraph justified...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things -- if the leading is different, and your settings do not have Apply Leading to Entire Paragraphs, then this could be causing the problem.

If that is not the problem, try removing the hard return and putting a <shift-return> instead. This will insert a line break without creating a new paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestions.

The leading is not applied to entire paragraph.

Shift+return solves the leading problem, but creates another as per the attached image.

Some pages are fine and others are not, that's why I think it's a bug.

leading2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks that that line should be on its own, and so should have kept the hard return.

The whole thing might work better if you used automatic bullets instead of typed ones.

Screenshot 2019-06-25 12.27.39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use shift-retur (forced line break), use a normal return and apply a space befaore and after in your Paragraph styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The leading is not applied to entire paragraph.

Why not?

Why not select the all the paragraphs including their returns and set the leading to 9pt? Or make a paragraph style with the correct leading and make sure there are no overrides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because I need different leading in that specific spot. Yes, i could've used a return, but all pages were initially designed like that, so I tried to keep it consistent.

Now I have to add an enter and change leading again since nothing else works. But I still think this is a bug. It's just fine on other pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

balkanh49472058Because I need different leading in that specific spot.

Different leading in that spot means different leading for the entire line. 

Try changing all of the leading in the entire paragraph to 9 pt, and applying some other attribute (like baseline shift) for that text that needs to be different.

I don't think it's a bug - I think you are misunderstanding what the controls are meant to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

if changing the justification is meant to change the leading too, then it's not a bug.

could be a very obscure setting, but as i said, it works normally on other pages where I have the same template.

Thank you all for your comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines