Highlighted

Cannot handle the request because a modal dialog or alert is active

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I am trying to open indesign documents, use indesign and/or quit indesign the same message pops up " Cannot handle the request because a modal dialog or alert is active". I have no clue what to do and am very desperate ! please help

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Steve Werner | Adobe Community Professional

If you cannot shut down your Mac, here are some methods, at least one of which should work:

(1) On most Mac models, you can force an application to Force Quit. Press Cmd + Option + Escape, and you'll see a dialog like this:

Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 5.29.18 AM.png

Select Adobe InDesign and Force Quit.

(2) That's the best way, but if it doesn't work, you can press the Power button on most Macs and you'll be given a Restart or Shut Down option which would shut down all your applications.

(3) Unplug your computer as a last resort.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Cannot handle the request because a modal dialog or alert is active

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I am trying to open indesign documents, use indesign and/or quit indesign the same message pops up " Cannot handle the request because a modal dialog or alert is active". I have no clue what to do and am very desperate ! please help

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Steve Werner | Adobe Community Professional

If you cannot shut down your Mac, here are some methods, at least one of which should work:

(1) On most Mac models, you can force an application to Force Quit. Press Cmd + Option + Escape, and you'll see a dialog like this:

(2) That's the best way, but if it doesn't work, you can press the Power button on most Macs and you'll be given a Restart or Shut Down option which would shut down all your applications.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 21, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try restarting your computer.

Try resetting the preferences

Set preferences in Adobe InDesign

If the above don't help post to this forum an image of your screen including the message and the entire InDesign interface.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 21, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am unable to shut my mac book down. i am stuck

Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 12.11.04.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-21 at 12.11.14.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 21, 2019 0
Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you hold down the Command, Option and Escape keys you will bring up a Force Quit Applications box. Can you kill InDesign from there?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 21, 2019 2
Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 21, 2019 2
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brilliant thank you!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 21, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brilliant thank you!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 21, 2019 0