• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot place .xlsx file in InDesign

Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2019 Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to place a simple .xlsx file into InDesign and get the attached error message. What the heck?

Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 2.01.25 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

I converted it to .csv using google docs just to see if maybe it was a problem with the .xlsx. It wouldn't even give me the option to place it. Weird thing that I'm using the same CC version on my Mac at work (well, I think it's the same version, anyway since we use CC) and it places .xlsx files created with Google docs just fine since I do it all the time at work. Not sure why the one at home doesn't work. Could it be the OS? Using High Sierra here at home and Mojave at work.

UPDATE: I just trie

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was the file actually created in Excel or another application and saved as Excel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to my customer, it was created in Microsoft Office Excel. I tried converting to a .csv file and InDesign won't even recognize it. I just tried to import another .xlsx file that I know for a fact was created in Microsoft Office Excel and it gives me the same message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happening with all InDesign files or just this one? If it’s just this one, export it to IDML and try with that. If it’s all of them, then try resetting your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating a new page. I'm not opening an existing INDD file and placing. It's a new doc. I even tried uninstalling INDD and reinstalling. No go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried resetting my preferences. Didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3rdrockgraphics  wrote

According to my customer, it was created in Microsoft Office Excel.

Ask again, and ask specifically if it was created in another program such as Google Docs and then saved as an Excel file.

Can you open it in Excel and resave it?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only open in Google docs myself. I don't have Excel. I'm on a Mac and don't have Office. I tried resaving it, didn't work. No, I cannot import ANY Excel files at all. I tried a few others that i know for a fact were created and saved in Excel (as I mentioned earlier) and those won't import either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3rdrockgraphics  wrote

I can only open in Google docs myself. I don't have Excel. I'm on a Mac and don't have Office.

Hi

If you don’t have Excel, how did you open it and convert it to .csv?

When you converted it to .csv, did you keep it as a text only file? Or accidentally save again in another native format? A .csv is text only and can’t hold any formatting at all. That’s another thing to double-check.

I also have a Mac. Office 365 can be put on 5 devices and it’s okay to mix Windows and Mac.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I converted it to .csv using google docs just to see if maybe it was a problem with the .xlsx. It wouldn't even give me the option to place it. Weird thing that I'm using the same CC version on my Mac at work (well, I think it's the same version, anyway since we use CC) and it places .xlsx files created with Google docs just fine since I do it all the time at work. Not sure why the one at home doesn't work. Could it be the OS? Using High Sierra here at home and Mojave at work.

UPDATE: I just tried resaving and renaming the same file using 365 (a friend has it) and it places fine. The frequency I would need Office 365 just doesn't warrant the $ to spend on it, really (even tho it's cheap, I know). I'd say maybe 5x a year I need it.

I also just tried using zamzar online to convert the xlsx customer sent to xls and THAT worked too.

I guess I'm all set! Thanks to everyone for all their help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, O365 (IMO) is well worth it for OneDrive alone. That and you can share it with five others who also get their own storage and account for use on 5 different devices and you have a big bargain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I just tried ANOTHER xlsx file and THAT one worked! Could it be a certain version of Excel like a really old one might cause this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3rdrockgraphics  wrote

Ok I just tried ANOTHER xlsx file and THAT one worked! Could it be a certain version of Excel like a really old one might cause this problem?

Hi

A really old version of Excel would be .xls. They changed the format in 2007 and renamed the extension to .xlsx. The older .xls files should also work.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just saved my life in 2020 with the zamzar online resource. I've been looking for like an hour for a solution to this same issue. I also don't use any Office programs frequently enough to justify buying it. Anyway, thank you from the future. 2020 is garbage but you just made it a little better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! Converting the .xlsx file to .xls with zamzar online worked for me and saved sooooooooo much time. THANK YOU SO MUCH! 

I made .xlsx with google doc then convert it into .xls.

inDesign 2021 v16.2.1

Mac BigSur v.11.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Never heard of Zamzar before, saved me loooot's of time today...

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines