• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change language of index (Cross References)

Explorer ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indexing newbie, second question for the day

I am using Adobe ME because I work in English and Hebrew. My cross references ("see", "see also") are coming up in Hebrew instead of English. It's not just the style as it's actually translated the word for "see".

How can I change this so that it indexes in English?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Window > Type & Tables > Cross-References > Panel menu > Define Cross-Reference Formats

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for this, sorry to be stupid, but I can only see from here how to define the variable and style, but not the language?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not stupid. I see the same problem. It's the translated "see" and "see also" that does not seem to have a preference language setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In case anyone is still dealing with this...when you click "insert cross reference" then click the pencil to edit it, you can rewrite the names of the CRs there. And in the script box just change any added text to your language (type "on Page" instead of "a la pagina" or whatever). Don't mess with the code parts (like </paratext>" ) just change the part added between/after the reference html/xml code into your language. You can also change the names of the formats on left by just typing over it in the top box. Click save each time then "okay" when you're done. I did it on my style source doc (in my .indb book) and those were added to all my book docs' cross reference formats after I synced both styles and cross references. I now have to manually switch all the old ones in Spanish to the English ones added by my sync. But at least now I know to check that FIRST if I ever use a template from stock again (which I will not lol). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines