• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing default tracking, kerning, spacing increments

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to change the default increments used in toolbars for things like kerning, tracking, space before paragraphs, etc.? I know it's possible with keyboard shortcuts, but I personally find it easier to use the toolbars and not have to constantly take my hand off the mouse. 

For example, the default increment for tracking is 10 (in thousands of an em). I'd like to change that to increments of one. The default increment for space before/after paragraphs is 0.0625 in, and I'd prefer to have it be 0.01 in.

Does anyone know how to do this? I've looked all over in preferences and don't see an option to change these. If it isn't possible, I'd love to see it added as an option. 

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

"I know it's possible with keyboard shortcuts, but I personally find it easier to use the toolbars and not have to constantly take my hand off the mouse.

All I see under Preferences > Units & Increments is "Keyboard Increments" for "Size/Leading" and "Kerning/Tracking." Changing these does not seem to change the increments used when clicking on the up and down arrows in the toolbars"

I'm not sure why the others are missing the conditions of your question, Joel, But there's no way to change

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set the desired amounts with no documents open and restart InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your speedy reply. Where do you set these preferences for the increments other than keyboard shortcuts? All I see under Preferences > Units & Increments is "Keyboard Increments" for "Size/Leading" and "Kerning/Tracking." Changing these does not seem to change the increments used when clicking on the up and down arrows in the toolbars. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I know it's possible with keyboard shortcuts, but I personally find it easier to use the toolbars and not have to constantly take my hand off the mouse.

All I see under Preferences > Units & Increments is "Keyboard Increments" for "Size/Leading" and "Kerning/Tracking." Changing these does not seem to change the increments used when clicking on the up and down arrows in the toolbars"

I'm not sure why the others are missing the conditions of your question, Joel, But there's no way to change the increments imposed by the UI on those Control fields.

You can lodge a feature request here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This is what I assumed after investigating it quite a bit myself, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With no document open, go to Preferences > Units and Increments. To see the results for tracking you need to highlight a range of text and then click the icon in the Character panel. Alt/Option-Arrow Right or Left will also do the same thing. To change leading values, set your Preferences to Type > Apply leading to entire paragraphs. Back in your document insert your text cursor anywhere in your paragraph and use Alt/Option-Up or Down Arrow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what a previous reply suggested. As far as I can tell, that only changes the increments for keyboard shortcuts. Where would I set these preferences for the increments other than keyboard shortcuts? Is it even possible. All I see under Preferences > Units & Increments is "Keyboard Increments" for "Size/Leading" and "Kerning/Tracking." There is nothing for non-keyboard increments and nothing for default space between paragraph increments. Am I missing something? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean you want these increments to change when you click by mouse on these attributes in the Character panel, for example? No. No way I know to change these built in increments. If you force yourself to use the keyboard shortcuts I think you'll eventually realize how much faster it is than having to mouse around your screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I did misunderstand your question.

The default increment for space before/after paragraphs is 0.0625 in, and I'd prefer to have it be 0.01 in.

If you set your rulers to points the increment is 1pt (.0139")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the tip on changing the rulers to points, that does help quite a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines