• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting an indesign book file to epub

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An ePub can't have page numbers. When I export my indesign file to ePub format does it automatically delete page numbers? Or do I need to save the book file as another name and delete all page numbers from master pages? Thanks!

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Yes, make a duplicate copy of your InDesign print version, export it as a Reflowable ePub and see what's not working then work your way through the book sorting out the issues. Keep exporting and testing on various devices and readers until it works. Learn to use a validator, my favourite is Flightdeck: https://ebookflightdeck.com

Producing succesful Reflowable ePubs is not intuitive, I recommend you take a Linkedin Learning online video tutorial (you can get 30-days free access).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

I think I can see where fluid definitions of "page numbers" can cause confusion here.

InDesign has the capability to generate "page numbers" automatically by placing them with special markers (Type>Insert Special Character>Markers>Current Page Number menu command). These are generally used on master pages so they'll automatically be transferred with the correct page number for any document page that's related to that master page, though you can place them on document pages if you have a specif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you mean it CAN'T? For Fixed Layout it most certainly can and in some cases should. For reflowable you should never add page numbers. If they're automatic on the master page, they will not be exported and will be generated by the epub reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A reflowable layout for Epubs doesn't have any page #s. I am doing a reflowable layout for an Epub to be published on IngramSpark. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to successfully export your print version of your InDesign document to Reflowable ePub you're probably going to have to do quite a bit of work on it first. For example every paragraph (and character style) has to be assigned a Paragraph Style including any that have extra space / leading. All images need to be anchored and all pages need to be linked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek: that still doesn't answer my main question. I created a file (not using Book) on Indesign 2020 for a book; 240 pages. No images, fiction book. The whole book has paragraph styles. I was told from many folks that it was very easy to export a file in Indesign to epub without having to do much work. Your answer seems to say I have to do a lot of work before exporting.

For ingramspark distributor of Reflowable epubs there are no page #s, of course. I created a print book first, which of course has page #s.

Main question: Before I export for Epub, do I have to make a copy of the file and change all the master pages to delete page #s? And in epub pages can't be facing. 

I quess the thing to do is create the epub, and see what it looks like.

Thanks for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, make a duplicate copy of your InDesign print version, export it as a Reflowable ePub and see what's not working then work your way through the book sorting out the issues. Keep exporting and testing on various devices and readers until it works. Learn to use a validator, my favourite is Flightdeck: https://ebookflightdeck.com

Producing succesful Reflowable ePubs is not intuitive, I recommend you take a Linkedin Learning online video tutorial (you can get 30-days free access).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this info. And yes, I have linkedin account, so yes, a good idea!

Much appreciated for your feedback. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I can see where fluid definitions of "page numbers" can cause confusion here.

InDesign has the capability to generate "page numbers" automatically by placing them with special markers (Type>Insert Special Character>Markers>Current Page Number menu command). These are generally used on master pages so they'll automatically be transferred with the correct page number for any document page that's related to that master page, though you can place them on document pages if you have a specific need. If you use this special function of InDesign, no, you won't have to delete the page numbers. Master page items don't export to epubs.

But if you manually put those page numbers on your document pages (using your Text tool to place text with 1, 2, 3, and so on for each page), then you'll need to manually remove them before creating your reflowing epub.

And in either case, if you're creating a fixed epub, like Bob explained, you want to keep them where they are, and by extension, where they belong.

Now for what Derek offered about the challenges of repurposing print books to epubs. Yes, it can be done. But not without some difficulty. It's easier to start from scratch and create a dedicated epub document, which will make things a lot easier on you in the long run. It'll make things a lot easier for you in the long run. You can repurpose the print version, but it's a lot more effort than it's generally worth.

For example, where would you like the Table of Contents? When you normally create a print version of the book, the ToC and Index are usually the last two things you do before sending the job out the door. And you usally place the Index in the back and the ToC before the first page of the manuscript — with pages like the publisher's page and any dedication/foreward pages, in what's generally known as "Front of Book." But if you're assembling your book by reading order, in the order text threads are generated, it'll be right after the Index at the absolute back of book.

This is why many epub designers create a dedicated, streamlined InDesign document for generating an epub. Near universally, you'll find if you're creating a reflowable epub, it's much faster and much easier to tailor a new document from scratch.

The link below is a slightly dated document, but the content's still quite valid and very relevant to your coming task. I recommend it highly:

Ebooks from InDesign: Twenty Things to Consider

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Randy. As I am publishing a fiction book with no TOC or Index, and is reflowable,so I probably won't have the problems you are forecasting, but thanks for this info, and the Ebooks link. And page #s are only on master pages.  So many folks tell me how EASY it is to use export books using export epubs in Indesign! Probably all doing simple fiction books like I'm doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I hope your issue has been resolved till now. If not, please let us know so that we can assist you further. 

Else please confirm if any of the suggestions above helped. 

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It has been resolved from answers; I'm taking an epub building class on LinkedIn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines