Corrupt Table of Contents Fix

Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but I thought I'd post it anyway to help others avoid frustration.

I've been working in an ID document created in v13.1 for the last few months. It's a simple 32-page product catalog. For the first draft, made several months ago, in v13.0, I produced a TOC from the page headers. The "create TOC" worked perfectly, using my character/paragraph styles as desired.

After the latest client revisions this week, more information was added (copy, pics, vector art). When I went to update the TOC, InDesign crashed. It crashed even when I tried to delete the text box containing the TOC. Performing any TOC function caused the program to instantly crash.

I tried resetting the program prefs, but it didn't help.

What did repair my corrupt file was this:

The first approach to debugging an InDesign file that crashes is to save it (export, in versions earlier than CS6) as an IDML. Opening the IDML in InDesign will create a new INDD based on the saved XML information.

This has another benefit: InDesign files grow the more you edit them. Internally, an INDD is a database, and it doesn't shrink as much as it grows while you are working on it. The INDD > IDML > new INDD cleans out all the cruft.

This info is from this web site.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Corrupt Table of Contents Fix

Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but I thought I'd post it anyway to help others avoid frustration.

I've been working in an ID document created in v13.1 for the last few months. It's a simple 32-page product catalog. For the first draft, made several months ago, in v13.0, I produced a TOC from the page headers. The "create TOC" worked perfectly, using my character/paragraph styles as desired.

After the latest client revisions this week, more information was added (copy, pics, vector art). When I went to update the TOC, InDesign crashed. It crashed even when I tried to delete the text box containing the TOC. Performing any TOC function caused the program to instantly crash.

I tried resetting the program prefs, but it didn't help.

What did repair my corrupt file was this:

The first approach to debugging an InDesign file that crashes is to save it (export, in versions earlier than CS6) as an IDML. Opening the IDML in InDesign will create a new INDD based on the saved XML information.

This has another benefit: InDesign files grow the more you edit them. Internally, an INDD is a database, and it doesn't shrink as much as it grows while you are working on it. The INDD > IDML > new INDD cleans out all the cruft.

This info is from this web site.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 12, 2018 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try uninstall/reinstall with the Adobe CC Cleaner tool. Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2018 0
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue with a TOC with[ i.e. updating the TOC and/or attempting to delete the textbox was causing immediate crash ] but INDD>IDML>INDD sequence fixed it completely.  I'm on V15.0.1.  Thanks for the help! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The INDD>IDML>INDD solution just fixed this exact issue for me too, on version 16.0.1 (updating my InDesign version, however, did not).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 14, 2020 0