Highlighted

Create "Prefab", reusable object

Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Unity, you can create prefabs, an object that can be loaded anywhere in the project, once you edit it, it will update all its occurences. Is there something similar in Indesign?

Example: I want to create an info box, which consist of a couple of shapes, an image and a text body. Now I want to place that box at some places in my book and when I decide that I want to change anything (let's say the images dimensions or position) I want it to update all existing info boxes. Is that possible?

The conveyor looked promising, but it doesn't link items, it just places a copy somewhere, not an instance.

OK, the conveyor works after all. For anyone interested:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/linked-content.html#main-pars_header_1

tick "create link" in the conveyor and make sure to select keep in conveyor and choose an option (F) that keeps the object in the conveyor.

However: You have to save your doc or update the links manually, is there a "live-link" option, so it updates on the fly?

And: Where do I keep the original? If I edit one of the linked ones, it separates. And I don't really want a page that I have to hide, where all my prefabs are stored.

Can't I declare all of them the master and when I edit any of them transfer the changes to all links?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Create "Prefab", reusable object

Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Unity, you can create prefabs, an object that can be loaded anywhere in the project, once you edit it, it will update all its occurences. Is there something similar in Indesign?

Example: I want to create an info box, which consist of a couple of shapes, an image and a text body. Now I want to place that box at some places in my book and when I decide that I want to change anything (let's say the images dimensions or position) I want it to update all existing info boxes. Is that possible?

The conveyor looked promising, but it doesn't link items, it just places a copy somewhere, not an instance.

tick "create link" in the conveyor and make sure to select keep in conveyor and choose an option (F) that keeps the object in the conveyor.

However: You have to save your doc or update the links manually, is there a "live-link" option, so it updates on the fly?

And: Where do I keep the original? If I edit one of the linked ones, it separates. And I don't really want a page that I have to hide, where all my prefabs are stored.

Can't I declare all of them the master and when I edit any of them transfer the changes to all links?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 20, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 0