Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export or share custom page presets in InDesign

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning all,

my colleague has made some Indesign 20 document presets, which are ready for the grab when she starts with a new document.

Is it possible that I get those presets on my Mac? (both working on a Mac).

I'm an experienced user and have no problem in sharing stuff from one Mac to the other, but I was unable to find an answer about this one.

Thanks!

Els

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure about Mac, but Windows version allows to save the Presets set to .dcst (Document presets) file with needed name and to needed location. Check pls if the Mac version works similary.
File > Document Presets >Define (the start point may be different on Mac); if you already have some presets, you will see them in dialogue window. Choose Save button and save the dcst file where you want. Then load it on he other comp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two ways to define these. One is by going to document presets and define

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 22.49.57.png

This will let you make your own pages sizes accessible through the new document menu that can be loaded and saved as .dcst files.

But these are document presets, not page sizes. They are kept elsewhere. On a mac, they are stored at this address:

/Users/your_own_username/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 14.0/en_US/Page Sizes/New Page Sizes.xml

You can add them one at a time by going to the custom selection of the following dropdown:

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 23.08.44.png

And the resulting syntax turns the xml file from this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<PageSizes>

</PageSizes>

to this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<PageSizes>

<PageSize>

<Name>bcard</Name>

<Width>255.11811023622047</Width>

<Height>155.90551181102364</Height>

<Ppi>72</Ppi>

<Intent>kAll</Intent>

</PageSize>

</PageSizes>

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The above mentioned location (/Users/your_own_username/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 14.0/en_US/Page Sizes/New Page Sizes.xml) doesn't exist. I've turned on 'hidden files' so thats not the problem. I'm on Indesign 2020. Anybody knows what could be the problem? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2022 Dec 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you aware, if your are on finder level, you have to hold the alt/option key and in the Go to menu you will see your personal library and there you have access to InDesign's personal settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Els,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to the suggestion shared above, you can also try these steps:

• Ask your colleague to share the Preset files with you.
  • Save the files on your Desktop
  • Go to File and click Document presets to open Document Presets dialog box.
  • Click on "Load" and select the Preset files.

• Then click OK.
  • The preset is saved in your InDesign preferences. Next time when you create a file you can find that preset in Saved presets.

Let us know if that helps, or if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The above mentioned location (/Users/your_own_username/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 14.0/en_US/Page Sizes/New Page Sizes.xml) doesn't exist. I've turned on 'hidden files' so thats not the problem. I'm on Indesign 2020. Anybody knows what could be the problem? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2022 Dec 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I see the way to apply presets to new documents, but what if I already have a document that has been created already and I want to add the presets to it. Is that possible? When I open the document and go to File -> Document Presets whether I choose Define or select the desired preset, it just starts a new document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jean Doodle,

folder Page Sizes will be added in the moment you save a custom page size.

Also note that the name "New Page Sizes.xml" is dependent on the localization version of InDesign.

In my German version the xml file will be named "Neue Seitenformate.xml", but the folder containing that file is still in English.

Do not rename "New Page Sizes.xml", or in my case "Neue Seitenformate.xml", because InDesign's New Document dialog will lose access to the new custom page sizes one added with the "Custom…" option at the bottom of all listed and available page sizes.

From my German InDesign 2021 on Windows 10:

CustomPageSizeAdd.png

After I added a new, custom named page size, folder "Page Sizes" is added to the preferences containing that xml file discussed above. The Windows 10 view on InDesign 2021 preferences:

CustomPageSizesXML-in-Preferences.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines