Highlighted

Extra Space Above the Last Line in a Paragraph?

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would I be getting extra space above the last line in a paragraph? The problem isn't in the leading, space before or space after. Settings are the same for them through the whole paragraph, but the last line still gets set off a little too much. Is this a 2018 problem or am I missing something? Any suggestions for how to fix this?

Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 3.34.46 PM.png

And to keep this from ever happening again, just enable Apply Leading to Entire Paragraph in Preferences > Type (off as a default).

Screenshot 2018-01-06 17.17.51.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Extra Space Above the Last Line in a Paragraph?

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would I be getting extra space above the last line in a paragraph? The problem isn't in the leading, space before or space after. Settings are the same for them through the whole paragraph, but the last line still gets set off a little too much. Is this a 2018 problem or am I missing something? Any suggestions for how to fix this?

Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 3.34.46 PM.png

And to keep this from ever happening again, just enable Apply Leading to Entire Paragraph in Preferences > Type (off as a default).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Enthusiast ,
Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check that all the text has the same leading. The pilcrow (paragraph mark) will have a different leading to the rest of the text.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work with paragraph and character styles and remove all overrides at the end.
Apply the paragraph style with holding the ALT key to remove overrides.

Never work without paragraph styles. Never.

The reason is that the return will have a different leading.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select just the pilcrow. It has a different typesize from everything else and you have auto leading for the paragraph. The leading is in parenthesis because it is auto. You will not see this if the entire paragraph has a specific leading. Make the pilcow the same size as the text and the problem goes away.

There are three ways to select a paragraph:

• Top to bottom: you may or may not include the pilcrow
  • Bottom to top: you will never include the pilcrow. If you have auto leading and choose a smaller type size you will have this problem. Always.
  • Click 4 times: you will have the pilcrow

Best practices:

• Use styles
  • Don't use overrides
  • Don't use auto leading

Please ask if there is anything that is not clear.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all of you. Problem solved. Changing the preferences was extremely helpful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

btw ... I was logged in under my wife's ID. That's how my name changed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines