• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do the default settings for object and text styles work?

Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having an issue since working with CC I didn't have before in CS6 and I hope someone can explain to me how the default settings for new text boxes work? I just started a new document and the first couple of new boxes I placed had the default style. Now, everytime I place a new box it's displayed in one of the custom object styles. I have the same issue with the text. I've searched everywhere i could think of to find a setting where i can define which defaults I would like to use, but must be overlooking something.

So, can anyone point me towards the settings for default object and text styles?

Thanks 🙂

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

For object styles you can set the default using the object style palette, see the screengrab for a demo. For text properties, with nothing selected on the document if you make changes to properties like font, font size, etc they become the default for any text that is added henceforth, the same rule applies to paragraph/character style as well

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

InDesign sets default styles/settings a couple of ways:

• You edit the default styles, such as the Basic Paragraph text style or the Basic Graphics Frame object style.
  • You select a style or change a setting with no text or object selected. (This is the most common issue.)

If you happen to do either of these with no documents open, they become the default for any new documents.

In your document, switch to the Selection tool and click on the pasteboard to deselect everything (or use the Edit>Des

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For object styles you can set the default using the object style palette, see the screengrab for a demo. For text properties, with nothing selected on the document if you make changes to properties like font, font size, etc they become the default for any text that is added henceforth, the same rule applies to paragraph/character style as well

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! That helps 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign sets default styles/settings a couple of ways:

• You edit the default styles, such as the Basic Paragraph text style or the Basic Graphics Frame object style.
  • You select a style or change a setting with no text or object selected. (This is the most common issue.)

If you happen to do either of these with no documents open, they become the default for any new documents.

In your document, switch to the Selection tool and click on the pasteboard to deselect everything (or use the Edit>Deselect menu or keyboard command). Check all you style panels, including Paragraph, Character, Object, Table, and Cell; then check any dialog-based settings you may have uses, such as Basic Text Frame, Text Wrap, Effects (these are also under Object styles, but often used manually). Change them to what you want them to be. 

Opps--The dupe answer was due to the time it took me to type my answer. When I started, there was not a previous reply 🙂

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you as well. Never mind the dupe. More than one explanation is always nice 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines