Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlink to bookmark

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a document with numerous bookmarks. I would like to link from the TOC to each bookmark.

When I try to create a hyperlink, the bookmarks do not show up as text anchor options. I was under the impression that bookmarks automatically created text anchors for hyperlinks. Is that wrong? What's the correct procedure?

- Josh

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

@josht27134563 Sounds good. Just keep in mind that if you update the TOC, InDesign will wipe out any edits that you have added. Once you begin to edit a generated TOC, you don't want to update it again.

@marikap3737523 If you are using a title style, you can create a TOC automatically. InDesign will collect each occurence of the specified style or styles, add the page numbers and hyperlinks for you. This is how most people create a TOC in InDesign. Josh's situation seems to be unique.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/user-guide.html/indesign/using/creating-table-contents.ug.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Josh,

the bookmarks that are automatically done from a TOC point always to Page or External Page targets.

Never to Text Anchor targets. To correct that you could do your own hyperlinks that point to Text Anchor targets in your document. Tedious work. There is no automatic workflow with InDesign's graphical user interface.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Josh:

Is the goal to allow the reader to click on a topic in the TOC in a PDF and hyperlink to the page with the topic? Or are you attemping something more complex?

If the former, that is built into an InDesign TOC. Just be sure that Create PDF Bookmarks is enabled in the Table of Contents dialog box (if it isn't enable it and update the TOC), and that you export to Adobe PDF (Interactive) or enable Include Bookmarks if you export to Adobe PDF (Print).

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Thanks for the response. I need to have links from the TOC to points in the document, and from various points in the document to other points. I think my best move at this point is just sweep through and make a lot of hyperlink destinations.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everybody

I have a same problem, just came to search for help here. Big catalogue, approx 500 pages, and need a possibility to have hyperlinks from TOC to pages in a pdf. About 700 hyperlinks!!! Of course I have a Title style - so I can easily make a TOC and was hoping to somehow add hyperlink to that style. But there is no possibilities to do that. Maybe someone created a script (is it possible?) or have another good idea.  Please keep others posted if you'll find some good feature to do those hyperlinks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb InDesign can keep also the old TOC if you want to compare them. There is possibility disable "Replace existing table of contents" when making pdf. 

I discovered that bookmark-possibility recently and very happy with that:)  With catalogue that is perfect solution!!! 

Josht maybe You should try also Index possibilities. Hope somebody here can help you, I used years ago and do not remember how it worked but it did 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Barb, 

I have Hyperlinks from the TOC to pages in the document. Can I also create bookmarks from those hyperlinks? We want a navigation panel of bookmarks visible to the left of the pdf. 

Thank you! 
Dena 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can generate more than one TOC in InDesign. Create the entire 'style' (really a complete schema) and save it under a style name. Repeat for the second TOC/index you want. Each can be tweaked, adjusted and generated independently.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@josht27134563 Sounds good. Just keep in mind that if you update the TOC, InDesign will wipe out any edits that you have added. Once you begin to edit a generated TOC, you don't want to update it again.

@marikap3737523 If you are using a title style, you can create a TOC automatically. InDesign will collect each occurence of the specified style or styles, add the page numbers and hyperlinks for you. This is how most people create a TOC in InDesign. Josh's situation seems to be unique.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/user-guide.html/indesign/using/creating-table-contents.ug.html 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines