• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IDMLs A Cautionary Tale

Community Expert ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been a lot written on this forum about when to use and when not to use InDesign’s IDML export option. It’s original intent was to provide a way to open documents created in a newer version of the program than the one in which a user might be working with the warning that any newer features that the current version has would not translate when opened in the older program. The feature was never intended as a way to be used as a back and forth conduit between versions of InDesign—a fact which has been made clear on this forum repeatedly. As, hopefully, a helpful reinforcement of that warning I wanted to report a situation which may add more weight to the warning against wanton use of the IDML. I recently was in a situation which revealed some additional perils and pitfalls that will result from using IDML files in a manner for which they were never designed.

In the advertising agency in which I work it has always been my job to field test each new version of InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop before they are rolled out to the rest of the company. Due to a problem with updating the Mac OS globally (the agency was still on Yosemite) the amount of time in which I was the only user of the newer version—which usually is, at most, a couple of weeks—became a couple of months. In this period every InDesign job that I worked on had to have an IDML made so that others in my department would be able to work on them. Things actually didn’t go too badly until after the third or fourth time some jobs had gone back and forth between CC 2017 and CC 2018. The first thing that we started to notice was that when the job was opened in CC 2017 the pasteboard disappeared. When I opened the same IDML file with CC 2018 it was fine. Fortunately, reestablishing the pasteboard in the Guides and Pasteboard section of InDesign preferences using CC 2017 fixed the problem and we never actually lost a file because of it. This was a mixed blessing, however, since it still delayed the urgency of getting everybody updated. What finally drove that decision, though, was after the fifth or sixth time some jobs went back and forth between the versions we started to notice that text was beginning to rerag. That did it. Everybody finally got updated. IDML crisis over.

I should point out, as I’ve seen written here many times, the IDML can be a force for good when there is some minor corruption in an existing file. Exporting the corrupted file as an IDML and then opening it up in the same version can do a world of good. As with all things, there is a time and place for everything.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the insights, Bill!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents |
|    PubCom |    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s a good warning and does reinforce what has been said over and over here. Text reflow is the number one issue I’ve always pointed to. The text engines do get tweaked between versions so I would expect to see this happen.

But I’m curious…why not just work in CC2017 for projects that needed to be shared?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because, unfortunately, in a multi-user environment everything that I work on can and will be worked on by others. In this case also the IT department removed CC 2017 and denied me access to install it myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps a visit to someone’s boss is in order here. I realize that there’s a ton of red tape, especially in your environment, but removing software that you need is flat out unacceptable. How do they expect you to test this stuff if they don’t allow you to compare it to the previous version?

That is, IMO, incompetence on their part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

One of the problems in this kind of environment is the decisions are being made five or six layers above Bill's boss.

Best,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed. I know about red tape which is why I suggested a visit to "someone's boss."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the IT department removed CC 2017 and denied me access to install it myself.

IT does the same in government and enterprises where they are concerned about security and legal licenses of software.

IT probably needs some enlightenment about what you need to do your job: multiple versions to accommodate workflow issues and compatibility. Also inform them that there's no additional cost to the company for having multiple versions of InDesign and other CS apps on a workstation. It's all part of the subscription fee.

One other reason why we keep back versions; plug-ins. We have some we use for only very specific jobs and don't need to upgrade the plug-in nor InDesign to run the job. Or the plug-in hasn't been updated itself for the latest version of InDesign.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents |
|    PubCom |    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll agree with Bob. I frequently use two (or more) versions of InDesign at a time. It's much safer to stay within one version for a particular project. And I test on the newest version simultaneously. I've never found a problem with that since each has its own folder of settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

Do you test the same file on both versions or do you save a copy to compare between versions of the software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Occasionally, I will test on both environments. Most likely when I've encountered a new bug in the testing version, and need to see how it worked in earlier versions. Of course, I don't work in a "locked down" environment like Bill does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Locked Down" is the operative word here. Welcome to my world, everybody.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

that sounds horrible.

I'm glad that I have all relevant versions of InDesign installed on a Mac and on a PC.

On the Mac all versions from InDesign CS3 to CC 2018.1, on the PC InDesign CS6 to CC 2018.1.

Just some words about IDML: Some workflows require IDML. Not to go from version to version but for exporting InDesign layouts to translation software that takes IDML and exports IDML. There are also some pitfalls with that. Things that can go terribly wrong. I have to look it up, but I know there is a case where the tint of a spot color can change.

Best,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you for sharing this, Bill. Learning from others is one of the greatest things about my participation in the forums.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great information Bill! Thanks for posting.

It's been my experience that IDML is great for fixing minor corruption issues, but back-saving is for emergencies only. And even in those emergencies cases, make sure to check (and probably fix the possible issues that may come up) in the version the layout will be used in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great information, Bill, and thanks for sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines