• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import txt file and make the containing of the textbox on page 1 and a copy of it on page 7 and 10?

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm sitting and trying to make a template for my study-project, and hoping that, some cool lats can help me?

As the topic says, I'm looking for away, where InDesign automatic import the containing of the file 01.txt in a specific textbox, when I opening the template-file. Is it posible and if, can you tell me how to do it?

My other question - Is it posible to set InDesign up, so the textbox with containing the 01.txt file - Like if the textbox's name in InDesign is called tx1 on page 1, and for example set up a copy of the tx1 at page 7 and page 10. If - how will do it?

The very best regards,

Tannhauser

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Yes--but "semi-" automatically.

Turn on link to text and spreadsheets under the File Handling preferences. 

Place your text file.

Save the ID file.

You can turn off the link preference if you want.

To "dupe" the text object, use the Content Collector tool to add the text box to the Collect panel. 

Place other copies of the text box with the Create Links option selected.

If the original text file changes, ID will ask you if you want to update modified links. You need to click OK or update l

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes--but "semi-" automatically.

Turn on link to text and spreadsheets under the File Handling preferences. 

Place your text file.

Save the ID file.

You can turn off the link preference if you want.

To "dupe" the text object, use the Content Collector tool to add the text box to the Collect panel. 

Place other copies of the text box with the Create Links option selected.

If the original text file changes, ID will ask you if you want to update modified links. You need to click OK or update later in the Links panel. (That's the semi-automatic part.)

2020-10-10_10-06-40.png

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Addendum

You can link to a Word file too. You can either do the formatting in Word or match up styles in ID. Use the "Show Import Options" when placing the file.

Note that when you updated the linked text files (.txt or Word), you will lose any manually applied formatting and any edits made in ID. Do all your editing in the original file.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines