Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2020 - Index Doesn't Update After Adding New Entryies

Engaged ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 64 bit, InDesign CC 2020

So I'm watching a great training video by Terry White called How to Create an Index and Cross References in Adobe InDesign CC. He ppoints out that after an index is created and placed into the document, you can go back and add new entries and then simply update the existing index to reflect any new entries. Specifically, he says to click the Generate Index command (Index panel). This opens the Generate Index window, click Ok and the index should update. When I try this, nothing happens. InDesign just generates a new index to place as you can see in the screenshot. Any ideas on why this isn't working?

indesign-index-issue.jpg

It's only an island if you look at it from the water.
TOPICS
Bug , EPUB , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Click on the existing index and try again.

If that still doesn't work, I would delete the current index and create a new one with that loaded text cursor that you showed us in the first screenshot. Then make an edit and try replacing existing index again.

index.gif

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

I figured out what's going on with this. When the index is generated, InDesign puts it in its own text frame. If I add new entries and then update the index, the Replace Existing Index is not greyed out. However, if I flow this text frame into the rest of the document, add a new entry and then open the Generate Index window, the feature becomes greyed out. I'm not sure I like the behavior of this, but this is how it's working by design.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enable the Replace Existing Index checkbox in the Generate Index dialog box.

~Barb

index.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your reply! Mine is greyed out. 

indexing.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the existing index and try again.

If that still doesn't work, I would delete the current index and create a new one with that loaded text cursor that you showed us in the first screenshot. Then make an edit and try replacing existing index again.

index.gif

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I figured out what's going on with this. When the index is generated, InDesign puts it in its own text frame. If I add new entries and then update the index, the Replace Existing Index is not greyed out. However, if I flow this text frame into the rest of the document, add a new entry and then open the Generate Index window, the feature becomes greyed out. I'm not sure I like the behavior of this, but this is how it's working by design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines