Highlighted

InDesign CS4 Package/Collect for Output - Missing links problem

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted this on the PC forum by mistake so I apologise for doubling up on the message for those who have found the same message twice. As far as I know this is a Mac only problem!

Having recently freelanced in 3 design studios since the CS4 release, the Collect for Output problem within InDesign seems to be widespread. I've seen this happen on a range of machines from a G5's to laptops. All have been running the latest version of Leopard.

For some unknown reason any document created in older versions of Indesign that is opened in IndDesign CS4 does not collect all the linked files when it's packaged. All preflight checks are fine, the new live preflight feature shows green light, I even tried re linking all files to a new source folder containing all links and it still only randomly collects one third of the needed linked files with no obvious pattern emerging between the files omitted, i.e clipping paths, colour profiles, file types.

The worst thing is that it happens randomly on documents created fresh in InDesign CS4 as well so I'm having trouble trying to pinpoint where the problem stems from.

This is driving people crazy, and I can see that it's going to be a major pain for numerous design agencies. I hope Adobe sorts this out quick or it's back to CS3 for most of us who charge for our time. I guess I can always send Adobe the bill for the time spent manually collecting all files for a job!!

Please no obvious suggestions on preflight settings as it's happening to people with twenty plus experience in the business.

Thanks for reading the post.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign CS4 Package/Collect for Output - Missing links problem

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted this on the PC forum by mistake so I apologise for doubling up on the message for those who have found the same message twice. As far as I know this is a Mac only problem!

Having recently freelanced in 3 design studios since the CS4 release, the Collect for Output problem within InDesign seems to be widespread. I've seen this happen on a range of machines from a G5's to laptops. All have been running the latest version of Leopard.

For some unknown reason any document created in older versions of Indesign that is opened in IndDesign CS4 does not collect all the linked files when it's packaged. All preflight checks are fine, the new live preflight feature shows green light, I even tried re linking all files to a new source folder containing all links and it still only randomly collects one third of the needed linked files with no obvious pattern emerging between the files omitted, i.e clipping paths, colour profiles, file types.

The worst thing is that it happens randomly on documents created fresh in InDesign CS4 as well so I'm having trouble trying to pinpoint where the problem stems from.

This is driving people crazy, and I can see that it's going to be a major pain for numerous design agencies. I hope Adobe sorts this out quick or it's back to CS3 for most of us who charge for our time. I guess I can always send Adobe the bill for the time spent manually collecting all files for a job!!

Please no obvious suggestions on preflight settings as it's happening to people with twenty plus experience in the business.

Thanks for reading the post.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all your experience you managed to ignore the various questions
posed in that other thread. There are a number reasons links would be
ignored in a package.

If you post one of the files, we can take a look.

Bob

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with CS4 with collecting linked files.
I work with G5pro Leopard 10.5.6
I never update a new version again, i will wait at least one year in the future

Geert Westerhof

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

Please explain why the problem would occur in multiple documents on different machines all of which are documents successfully packaged on previous versions of Indesign. We are talking about documents with no known preflight issues here. Documents that have only been amended in IndesignCS4 and packaged for reprint. This is a serious CS4 problem.

Any reasonable suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JD

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said, post the file so we can take a look. If the images are
linked and on live pages (not the pasteboard) then there's a problem
somewhere, but without seeing the file there's nothing else I can offer.

I need to see the file. It's a very rare occasion when I use the package
feature so if there's a bug I'd be the last person to find it.

Bob

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob, and thanks for the offer but at the studio where the problem is happening currently they are working on a large file and it has over 600 links to different items for a catalogue. I don't have any permission to send you this for copyright reasons and recreating the problem on a smaller scale is difficult as it generally happens randomly. Having talked to the design staff today the links on the mentioned document have all been moved to a single source folder and relinked from fresh. However, this morning on opening the document some links were listed as missing again. I doubt the problem can be solved by looking at the Indesign file, the problem has to be deeper than this.

If you can outline what you suggest to look at by studying the document then I might be able to get them to release a small part of it.

Regards,
JD

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only think of a couple of things off the top of my head...number
one, make sure that the links are valid and that nothing is missing,
two, check to make sure everything is on a live page, not the paste
board, and last, check to be sure the graphics aren't already embedded.

Bob

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions Bob but I'm afraid it's not that easy to pin down. I'm hoping someone from Adobe will read this post and that people will ad to it as I've heard of another company today who's had the same problem after installing CS4.

Manual file collection is not good news! I guess we just have to wait for an update :(

JD

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately with nothing to go on, I'm out of ideas. But I will tell
you that as the name implies, this is a user to user forum, not a direct
line to Adobe.

If you're convinced this a bug, report it using this form:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Bob

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines