Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign exporting everything to jpg but keeping the text vectorized

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I am often struggling with compressing my huge InDesign files, which are including big vector and jpg material. Often is impossible to export pdf in defined MB limits, so I export as jpg and join back to pdf. I don't mind the reduced quality in graphic and jpg (is just for online previews) but I do mind the reduced graphic in texts. Since the text doesn't take a lot of space am wondering if there is a way I export all the graphics (also vector) in resized jpg, so the final size is for example 3840/2160 of a page, while only the text stays in vector format.

I am interested in Indesign solutions and any kind of other workarounds.

Thank you for any advice. 

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you embedding or linking your graphics?

Are your graphics larger than they need to be (check the Effective PPI of raster images)?

Is your final output for commercial printing?

What do you meanby "defined MB limits"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for replying.

Most of the graphic is linked and some are also embedded.

Many graphics are larger than need to be and I like to keep it larger just in case. When I export for printing, I can export in high quality, but for online preview (where the compressed quality of the graphic is good enough) I am sometimes requested to send a file with a max of 10 MB for example (while the printing version would have 40 MB). I tried resizing linked graphics which takes a lot of time and wasn't able to achieve less than 10MB anyway, so I just exported everything to JPG and back to PDF.

I see a solution also maybe to have text in another layer than everything else, so I export separately all the images, graphics in a required resolution/file sizes and then join these images with texts again. For example in another fresh empty InDesign file. 

Any other suggestions? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines