Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign font incompatibility between mac and pc

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I work with a original indesign file created on Mac. I work on PC. My problem is that I install the files from the pack "Avenir" that came with the file and I can see they are installed on my PC. also I can write on a new document using that font. Although I continue getting message that the file created on Mac is using "Avenir" and is missing on my  system. And wont change even if I point that text to use "Avenir" on my system.  

How to handle this?

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

The only fonts that are designed specifically to work cross platform between Mac and PC are called Open Type. These fonts will have a suffix of .otf. The Windows versions of True Type fonts (.ttf) are also supposed to work cross platform but I have seen tracking and kerning issues when using those on a Mac. Be aware that most fonts have versions in Open Type, True Type and the virtually obsolete Postscript Type 1 fonts. However, that does not mean that the different versions are interchangeable.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

If in order to transfer the file from Mac to PC you used the Package function in InDesign, and had the fonts for the file collected, then there should be a folder within the job folder called "Document Fonts". As long as the InDesign file is not moved out of the job folder then the file should recognize any fonts that are in the Document Fonts folder. As soon as you move the InDesign file out of the job folder it loses its connection to the Document Fonts folder and the fonts will read as missin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

The Mac can read all Windows font, but Windows lacks this compatiblity and can read only Windows Font but no Mac Fonts. That is one of the advantages of a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only fonts that are designed specifically to work cross platform between Mac and PC are called Open Type. These fonts will have a suffix of .otf. The Windows versions of True Type fonts (.ttf) are also supposed to work cross platform but I have seen tracking and kerning issues when using those on a Mac. Be aware that most fonts have versions in Open Type, True Type and the virtually obsolete Postscript Type 1 fonts. However, that does not mean that the different versions are interchangeable. If you stick to Open Type for all your fonts you should be okay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I understand that. The thing is that I use otf version and actualy if I create a new document it works. But when I open the document that was sent to me (I have to make translation to that file)  then this font doesn't work. The font comes in folder attached to de .indd file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If in order to transfer the file from Mac to PC you used the Package function in InDesign, and had the fonts for the file collected, then there should be a folder within the job folder called "Document Fonts". As long as the InDesign file is not moved out of the job folder then the file should recognize any fonts that are in the Document Fonts folder. As soon as you move the InDesign file out of the job folder it loses its connection to the Document Fonts folder and the fonts will read as missing. Try opening the InDesign file without moving it from the job folder and its proximity to the Document Fonts folder and see if the fonts read correctly then. If that works then your original problem sounds like it lies with how you've installed the fonts on the PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Mac can read all Windows font, but Windows lacks this compatiblity and can read only Windows Font but no Mac Fonts. That is one of the advantages of a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines