• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign packaging not packaging fonts folder after Windows 10 upgrade

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My office is currently undergoing updates on our computers. Several years ago we purchased the licenses for helvetica font.  Our IT department had to wipe our computers clean as well as updating to Windows 10, so in turn we had to reinstall all our adobe programs and fonts. I tried to package a couple files for the first time since our update and the packages will not package the document fonts folder. This is not only for helvetica fonts, but for all fonts we use. These include fonts from dafont.com, paid for fonts, and other fonts that came with the computer. BTW I am using Adobe Creative Cloud, so we are on the most current Adobe programs there are available. I have tried to package in both InDesign and Illustrator, neither work. My co-worker is experiencing the same issue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

The combination of Windows and any Adobe application does not require that fonts be installed in the Windows fonts directory. The vast majority of the fonts I use (i.e., any fonts other than those installed by Windows or Office applications) are installed as links.

That having been said, further questions since it isn't quite clear what you are actually experiencing.

Taking “packaging” out of the equation, when editing the document itself in InDesign, are you having any problems accessing the font

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the folder being created? Did you select it? Do you get the typical licensing alert when packaging?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The package folder is being created. The links folder is being created. The documents folder is NOT being created. Yes, the typical message. I screen shot it.restrictions.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the InDesign forum. That's an Illustrator alert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im sorry, I have been working between the two and got the error message mixed up. i am attaching a screen shot of what is going on. The yellow triangles at the top, there are zero errors or broken links, but it says there are 3 incomplete fonts. My list clearly shows them there. ???

problems.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are those fonts fully installed in Windows or did you use a shortcut to them? If a shortcut, make sure it's installed in the Windows fonts folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The combination of Windows and any Adobe application does not require that fonts be installed in the Windows fonts directory. The vast majority of the fonts I use (i.e., any fonts other than those installed by Windows or Office applications) are installed as links.

That having been said, further questions since it isn't quite clear what you are actually experiencing.

Taking “packaging” out of the equation, when editing the document itself in InDesign, are you having any problems accessing the fonts? If so, it isn't a packaging issue.

The fact that the packaging dialog is referring to “incomplete fonts” is the red flag here. It is indicative of something (I don't know what) wrong with how they were installed.

My recommendation would be to fully remove those Helvetica fonts from your system (as well as the Minion font that also seems to have the same issue) and reinstall them from scratch. Install the fonts from your source by right-clicking on the font file and selecting either Install for All Users (this puts a copy in C:\Windows\fonts) or Install as Shortcut for All Users (no copy placed in the Windows font directory). Do Not use the Install option, a new feature of a recent Windows 10 versions which only makes the font visible to the user installing the font. That type of font installation may be the problem, at least with Adobe applications.

- Dov

UPDATE — Confirming that this is a packaging bug in InDesign affecting fonts installed only for the current user. It has been reported as bug ID-4213695. As recommended above, this bug is totally avoided by installing fonts by right-clicking on the font file and selecting either Install for All Users (this puts a copy in C:\Windows\fonts) or Install as Shortcut for All Users (no copy placed in the Windows font directory). Do Not use the Install option, a new feature of a recent Windows 10 versions which only makes the font visible to the user installing the font. We do not know whether this affects any other Adobe applications such as Illustrator. It does not affect Acrobat!

SECOND UPDATE – The problem also occurs with Adobe Illustrator. Same workaround applies. A bug as been reported against Illustrator!

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aware of that, Dov, but in the past it was reported a few times as an issue so I just want to eliminate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, two years ago Microsoft did one of their Windows 10 updates that totally broke linked-font installations (they only worked with alternate Windows reboots). But that was fixed long ago and when the problem did occur, it affected all access to the fonts, not just packaging in InDesign!    The trouble I am more concerned about is that they are continuing to have rookies mucking around with the font code in Windows and I shutter each time one of these new Windows 10 updates occurs.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I guess the question to the OP is, “what build of Windows 10 is involved here?”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. To answer the Windows 10 version: Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.437) c2018
  2. In installed the fonts same as always (and never have had any issues). I have the fonts in my folder, I click on the install button shown at the top right corner.
  3. This is not only the Helvetica fonts. I downloaded a "chalk" font, working with illustrator, I packaged it and still had the same issue I am having with InDesign.
  4. DOV: the problem I am having is, when I package the "documents fonts" folder is not packing with any of my files.
  5. I am attaching 2 photos. I opened a file from last year. changed the text to Hel 55 (which is one of the issues I am having with). I went to package, and it worked perfect. However, as seen in the photos attached, I added a new font to the new ad and the new font is showing incomplete.
  6. Should I uninstall indesign and reinstall??? This really is a pain when I am trying to get my work done.

problem 2.jpgproblem 3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have started an entire new document folder this morning to test something out. I used 7 different fonts. 2 came with the computer, 1 I downloaded this morning, 1 is an adobe font and the others are Helvetica.

Yellow sign errors: 5 incomplete fonts, 1 protected

The file packaged a document font folder. However the only font it packaged was 1 of the computer original fonts. I have highlighted the font it packaged in green.

problem 4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

caseyk66381946  wrote

…Yellow sign errors: 5 incomplete fonts, 1 protected …

Hm. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't incomplete mean, that not the whole font family was packaged?

Just a warning message, no error: InDesign will always package the used font styles only.

Never the whole family if only e.g. one style out of many is used in the document.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not trying to be rude, but you should really read the entire message (if you haven't done so). The packaging is not making the documents fonts folder. This is the whole issue. And this is the only thing I can tie that too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read the whole thread. I know, that the packaging function is not doing the Document fonts folder. Or if it does its contents is incomplete. The message also is saying "0 missing". The "1 protected" will not copy over. This could mean several things, I think. Maybe the not copied font files have right issues in the file system? So they could not be copied.

I would start with a different user account with e.g. Admin rights and try again.

Just want to quote Dov Isaacs from reply #6, marked some details in color:

Install the fonts from your source by right-clicking on the font file and selecting either Install for All Users (this puts a copy in C:\Windows\fonts) or Install as Shortcut for All Users (no copy placed in the Windows font directory). Do Not use the Install option, a new feature of a recent Windows 10 versions which only makes the font visible to the user installing the font. That type of font installation may be the problem, at least with Adobe applications.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to thank you all for your support and comments. I finally figured out what Laubender and Dov where talking about. Right click and install did not work, but right clicking and install for all users did work!! Thank you again, this has been a very trying couple of days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue I was having with right clicking on the fonts was, I am assuming, when you download a free font it does not give you the option to right click and install for all users. I am assuming this is for licenses fonts only? But this may be a whole other issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing the fonts is not the issue. The only time you’d have an issue is embedding into a PDF or an epub and that would be a flag set by the font designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

caseyk66381946  wrote

I want to thank you all for your support and comments. I finally figured out what Laubender and Dov where talking about. Right click and install did not work, but right clicking and install for all users did work!! Thank you again, this has been a very trying couple of days.

Hi,

give Dov's reply the Correct Answer 🙂

I only quoted him.

Thanks,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines