Highlighted

Indesign placing pdf but edit in photoshop

New Here ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just placed a PDF with multiple pages into Indesign. One of the images, I'd like to edit in Photoshop. I, go to links->edit with->photoshop. I make the changes, but when I click save in photoshop, it saves it as a new file. And when I go back to InDesign, the image hasn't updated.

Do I need to 'place' the new saved file back into InDesign? Shouldn't InDesign automatically update any changes I make changes in Photoshop? Is it because it was a PDF?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Luke Jennings3 | Adobe Community Professional

Select the PDF link and open it in Acrobat, find the page and image you want to edit and go to Tools> Edit PDF> Edit (In Acrobat), select the image and Edit using Photoshop. Save your edits without renaming the file or changing the image format and close Photoshop, save the updated PDF and close Acrobat, update the link in InDesign.

Alternately, you can open the original image in Photoshop, make your edits, open the original program where the PDF was created and make a new PDF, then update the InDesign PDF link.

A third option is to save the image from Photoshop as a new name and place it into the InDesign file as a new link, using Acrobat to delete the original image from the PDF.

Topics

Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Indesign placing pdf but edit in photoshop

New Here ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just placed a PDF with multiple pages into Indesign. One of the images, I'd like to edit in Photoshop. I, go to links->edit with->photoshop. I make the changes, but when I click save in photoshop, it saves it as a new file. And when I go back to InDesign, the image hasn't updated.

Do I need to 'place' the new saved file back into InDesign? Shouldn't InDesign automatically update any changes I make changes in Photoshop? Is it because it was a PDF?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Luke Jennings3 | Adobe Community Professional

Select the PDF link and open it in Acrobat, find the page and image you want to edit and go to Tools> Edit PDF> Edit (In Acrobat), select the image and Edit using Photoshop. Save your edits without renaming the file or changing the image format and close Photoshop, save the updated PDF and close Acrobat, update the link in InDesign.

Alternately, you can open the original image in Photoshop, make your edits, open the original program where the PDF was created and make a new PDF, then update the InDesign PDF link.

A third option is to save the image from Photoshop as a new name and place it into the InDesign file as a new link, using Acrobat to delete the original image from the PDF.

Topics

Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not understanding your workflow, When you place PDF with multiple pages into InDesign, each page is treated as uneditable art. HOW ARE YOU SELECTING THE IMAGE IN A PDF TO EDIT IN PHOTOSHOP? To edit an image in Photoshop, you'd have to open the document that created the PDF.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it because it was a PDF?

Yes. When you save in a file Photoshop the default is to create a .psd file. For InDesign to auto-update an image, you will need to save the file in the same format (and with the same name) as the original. I'm not clear why you would want to edit a PDF in Photoshop?

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines