Highlighted

InDesign shifts text inside textboxes and data inside tables

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope someone can help me I've been working on this brochure project for around 18 months. I've had no issues during this time. Last few days, I wanted to make some changes to some products but when I edit something it shifts down by a small amount. 

Product text box goes from 3mm (h) to 3.612mm (h) - I have attached images to show me deleting some text below. 

The font size doesn't change, there's no difference between that text box before and after deleting some information and replacing it I've reviewed the baseline options and haven't got anything set does anyone have any suggestions? 

Edit: 

I could do a variety of edits to the text or data and it would shift, including changing text size, fonts. I have no text or paragraphs styles setup for this either. I have gone back to previous saves of this brochure and thing happens to any product title, description or table data. 

Specs: 

InDesign CC 
Windows 10 

Thanks in advanced

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi BS9,

possibly a change in font's version?

So in essence not exactly the same font is used as before. Same name, same vendor, but different properties perhaps.

How did you load the font to your system?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Topics

Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign shifts text inside textboxes and data inside tables

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope someone can help me I've been working on this brochure project for around 18 months. I've had no issues during this time. Last few days, I wanted to make some changes to some products but when I edit something it shifts down by a small amount. 

Product text box goes from 3mm (h) to 3.612mm (h) - I have attached images to show me deleting some text below. 

The font size doesn't change, there's no difference between that text box before and after deleting some information and replacing it I've reviewed the baseline options and haven't got anything set does anyone have any suggestions? 

Edit: 

I could do a variety of edits to the text or data and it would shift, including changing text size, fonts. I have no text or paragraphs styles setup for this either. I have gone back to previous saves of this brochure and thing happens to any product title, description or table data. 

Specs: 

InDesign CC 
Windows 10 

Thanks in advanced

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi BS9,

So in essence not exactly the same font is used as before. Same name, same vendor, but different properties perhaps.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Topics

Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BS9,

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe, 

Thanks for your response!

This would make sense. I use Source Sans Pro from Typekit it couldn't find the fonts yesterday, I had to re-login to reactivate the font. Is there any way I can get around this? 

Kind regards, 

BS9

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BS9,

in the case of Adobe Source Sans Pro it would make sense to look after downloadable versions of the OTF files perhaps.

There should be some versions available at:

https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-sans-pro

Maybe you can find a version that fits your already used one?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this. I have tried about 6 versions and not had any luck - including using the first release. Do I just accept my fate at this point and edit every instance I use Source Sans?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to tell.

Don't know if it will help:

Could you open an older version of your document when the font is not available with your system or with InDesign?

Then look up the used exact version number of Adobe Source Sans Pro in menu Type > Find Font… > More Info

If the not fitting text is using the exact same version number we have a different case and should look for a different solution.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Snippet.JPG

I'll go and try Verison 2.020 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe, 

Okay so I deactivated all my fonts, uninstalled all versions of Source Sans Pro on Windows. Restarted and installed all of the 2.020 fonts. It works!

Thank you so much for your help! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I think I am encountering the same issue as you. I opened some documents yesterday that i've been working on for months and suddenly when I type into a text box, the baseline shifts down. Its never happened before and seems to be a bug as none of the settings have changed, theres been no available updates or anything. 

When you say you installed version 2.020 of the fonts, what did you do? I've tried deactivating Source Sans Pro, restarting and activating again but it didn't work.

I've resorted to using the font from Google Fonts instead but it means having to re-link the fonts everytime I open anything!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I unistalled and decativated all Source Sans on my machine, looked at the errors and went to info then went to https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-sans-pro as Uwe suggested. Installed them via the computer and not through creative cloud or anything. This worked and saved me so much hassle, I've not had an issue since with these fonts. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After more looking into it, I think it is an issue with the latest version of Source Sans Pro from typekit. I'm now using version 3.006 - it seems that whatever changes they've made for this version, includes it starting lower down in text boxes. This only happens in InDesign though - in Illustrator it works as normal. 

I'm currently speaking with someone from InDesign support so I'll see if they have a fix - if not I will be downloading the font from github like you!

Thanks 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines