• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign workspace window is off screen

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using InDesign at work with my laptop connected to my fancy new superwide monitor. Then I came home and tried to open the same files on my laptop without the superwide monitor. The workspace windows are apparently opening up offscreen where I can't see or grab them. I've tried changing the resolution, but can't go small enough to pull the windows into view. I've done a lot of searches on the topic but nothing seems to help or reset the windows and all the solutions provided are from at least a year ago. Any other suggestions?

[Moving from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

My workspace was completely off the screen while using InDesign on my macbook pro. (It happened after disconnecting from a larger display monitor.)

I've been searching for an answer and this just worked for me  - In InDesign go to Window and make sure Application Frame is unchecked.  Once I did this the application window popped back in where I was able to resize it.

Hope this helps!

-amy

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, this may take some finagling, but none of these options were working for me. I brough up the displays, with both of them hooked up, and started moving the orientation around unitl the top of the window popped back up. Basically rearranging the display locations in regards to each other in the settings on this screen. Worked right away. I lost the top on the middle screen, so I dragged the middle screen up and was able to access that area.

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 11.03.25 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecking Application Frame worked for me too! Thanks so much, I'd spent HOURS getting frustrated over this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking under Window and there is no option for application frame. Is this located somewhere else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me. Amazing!
Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I chose Application frame (i.e., it's now checked), and my panels are once again worked as expected. Go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you... that one helped ; ))))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weirdly, I had "Application Frame" UNchecked and when I checked it - opposite of you - it popped back into the frame. Thanks for suggesting this though as messing with it solved the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on a Windows laptop try this:

Press the Windows+Up Arrow keys to Maximize the window. This should pop the entire InDesign document window to fullscreen on your laptop screen. Don't reduce it though, without hooking up to your external monitor unless you don't want to see it and go through this all over again. Alas, there's no exact equivalent in MacOS, but you can try Option+Spacebar keys and see if it works for your Mac laptop. It may, but it's more of a crapshoot.

Good luck,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found my color window to be off the screen and I couldn't get it back.  I had tried resetting the workspace and adjusting my resolutions as advised but no luck. 

What worked for me, on Windows 10 Pro

• Open InDesign - fullscreen
  • Open the color window
  • Right-clicking on the WINDOWS taskbar
  • Select "Show windows side by side"

Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@adobe make a simple pull-down menu to fix this.

Apple native apps have Window>Zoom that fits the application window to screen.

The above suggestions do not work

• The green resize button off screen
  • Reset workspace pull-down is also off screen
  • Window > Application frame just explodes my workspace and is still off screen

Please provide a pull-down menu like Mac OS across all CS apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My paragraph styles dialogue box was the issue, its a tall one... and all I can see is the bottom of it on my alt monitor. None of the above options fixed the issue. The only thing that worked was going back to the previous monitor! Adobe lets get this fixed. My AD isn't stoked I found another reason to head home early... Here are a couple low hanging fruit solutions:

- What about a simple 'gather pallettes' option?

- Ability to grab pallettes from all four corners?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. You may try the InDesign Prerelease build by following the steps on this community post & see if that helps with your concern.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to move this panal. Even if I repopen indesign, it comes at same position. Please help.

Abhijeet5C1C_0-1635102772001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@justinky_ 

The application frame is a Mac-only feature, designed to make InDesign on a Mac look like InDesign on Windows. 

Try resetting your workspace: Window > Workspace > Reset XXXX, where XXXX=your saved workspace name. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. I am going to share my experience for those that have the same problem as I did. I wasn't able to look at any of my InDesign settings either since that dialog box also appeared off screen. I tried the following and none of them worked:

• Changed resolutions of my screen
  • Reset resolutions to original
  • Connected my computer to a 4k monitor
  • Reset workspace
  • Changed workspace
  • Changed to original workspace
  • Closed InDesign
  • Shut down my computer

What finally worked was allowing the dialog box to open off screen. With the dialog box still open and displayed off screen, right click the Windows task bar and select cascade windows. This should bring all windows open into frame.

It would be nice if Adobe allowed us to click and drag dialog boxes from anywhere on the box, not just the top bar for this very reason. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG thank you! The doc window disappearing has been driving me insane and this is the only thing that worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally. I was able to get a handle (two-way arrow) by floating the cursor over the right edge (My app panes push off to the left).

Then I was able to pull the width of my workspace until there was enought top bar to grab and recenter.

@Adobe. Again, please add a "Zoom" in window menu, like every other app on MacOS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Losing my mind with this problem, and just tried 
Window > Workspace > Reset and it worked perfectly!

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 9.44.00 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resizing the save window. Worked when Illustrator had the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your Apple Menu (top) > System Preferences > Dock & Menu Bar:

Menu Bar: Uncheck "Automatically hide and show the menu bar on desktop"
Resize the indd window
*Re-Check "Automatically hide and show the menu bar on desktop" in System Preferences if you choose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, worked perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this periodically. I have a two monitor setup. It happens when I move a wondwo from one monitor to the other nd the menubat get stuck under the mac os menu. You can barely see the document tab.

Here's the solution:
 1) Turn on mirroring (display preferences)

2) Turn off mirroring

3) aximize your Indesign window to the screen (grren circle in menubar).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yooo..! Thank you Amy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried everyone's suggestions. No luck. What worked for me, finally, was shutting everything down, disconnecting the remote monitor, and starting up again. When In Design opened it was all back again on my laptop screen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines