• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues when moving to Sharepoint?

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I have been informed that my company is moving to using Sharepoint Online instead of a server for storing our files. I want to make sure I will not encounter problems, so need to understand what needs to be done for this change.

Currently, the way I work is that all my InDesign files are saved on my Local computer, but all the graphics are stored on a company server and linked from within the InDesign file. Once the doc is complete, I back up the InDesign file as well as the InDesign pacakage on the server, but this is for backup purposes only - I am always working on files on my local computer.

So my big question is - once they move all the files to Sharepoint and the server is no longer there, when I open a local file obviously the links will be broken. Can I simply relink to the Sharepoint folder without any issues, or is there a more complicated process?

I have watched a couple of of Youtube videos on  this but in those examples, the InDesign file was always on Sharepoint with the linked graphics also on Sharepoint within that same folder and so there was discussion about syncing the Indesign folder to OneDrive (and I am not really clear about what OneDrve is). This is obviously different from our current aproach.

Also, I have seen at least one post of someone saying they linked to Sharepoint file, and then when opening another time, those links were broken. The answer had something to do with Sharepoint Session management, but I did not understand the answer. If things need to be set up a certain way, I need to be able to convey this info to my IT person.

Any help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I simply relink to the Sharepoint folder without any issues, or is there a more complicated process?

Placed assets have to be stored somewhere on your local area network—the path to the placed file can’t be a web URL. So if Sharepoint is sync’ing to a local folder a la Dropbox, or your Creative Cloud files folder, you would have to place from the local sync folder. Even when you place a CC Library asset (where the link icon is a cloud), the actual placed file is stored in a hidden folder on the host computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, still not really clear on this stuff, because i am not sure where they are moving the files to. But I will find out more at a meeting next week and if I have further questions, I will respond with more info.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have successfully been able to do it on a PC. Once you have your SharePoint set up, drop your graphics files, etc. into your SharePoint folder online. When you open up that folder, there are some options right above it. You will HAVE to do this in one of the Microsoft browsers (no Chrome, Firefox, etc.). Your main folders will be on the left-hand rail on the page. Click on the one you want to contain your graphics. At the top of SharePoint, you will then see three buttons for Browse - Files - Library. Click on Library. A bunch of icons will then appear. Click on Open with Explorer. That will cause a folder to open on your screen. At the top of that folder, you will see a path. Just to the left of that is a tiny folder icon. Click and drag that icon to your desktop. And voila! Drop in your graphics. Then, when you're linking files in InDesign, link them to that folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, the OP was referring to SharePoint Online. The solution you describe, and the use of "Microsoft" browsers, only works for legacy, hosted versions of SharePoint. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines