Highlighted

Justify with last line aligned left not working

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently formatting a book and my paragraph justification isn't working. I'll set it to justify with last line aligned left but it full justifies it.

problem.JPG

I've gone into justification settings and made sure that the single word is aligned left. I've changed documents. I've started from scratch, I've changed to document I'm placing, I've updated InDesign, I've restarted my computer. I have no idea what's wrong. How can I fix this?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Willi Adelberger | Most Valuable Participant

The problem is, you have only one single (1!!!!!!!) paragraph in your document. The author wanted to write paragraph breaks (created with the return key), but used line break instead (created with schift+return keys).

You have to replace those line breaks, where the paragraph should end with a simple return.

In most cases, let's say about 99% the shift+return should never be used. There are very rare occasions where this key combination might be adequate.

Another problem I see is, that you start your “paragraphs” with a tabulator key. This should not be done either. You have to set up a paragraph style with a first line intent.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Justify with last line aligned left not working

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently formatting a book and my paragraph justification isn't working. I'll set it to justify with last line aligned left but it full justifies it.

problem.JPG

I've gone into justification settings and made sure that the single word is aligned left. I've changed documents. I've started from scratch, I've changed to document I'm placing, I've updated InDesign, I've restarted my computer. I have no idea what's wrong. How can I fix this?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Willi Adelberger | Most Valuable Participant

The problem is, you have only one single (1!!!!!!!) paragraph in your document. The author wanted to write paragraph breaks (created with the return key), but used line break instead (created with schift+return keys).

You have to replace those line breaks, where the paragraph should end with a simple return.

In most cases, let's say about 99% the shift+return should never be used. There are very rare occasions where this key combination might be adequate.

Another problem I see is, that you start your “paragraphs” with a tabulator key. This should not be done either. You have to set up a paragraph style with a first line intent.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 06, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post again with hidden characters showing and either the Paragraph panel or the Control Panel in paragraph mode showing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2019 1
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is a screencap with more information

problem 2.JPG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2019 0
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: there was an issue with the docx file I imported, I had to make it from scratch and made sure to paste without formatting

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2019 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2019 3
Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Willi+Adelberger  wrote

As I suspected.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2019 1
Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Theresa:

This is an easy fix with Find/Change. Find all line breaks followed by a Tab ^n^t, replace with a paragraph break ^p.

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 1.26.06 PM.png

After Change All:

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 1.26.14 PM.png

Then add the first line indent in the ¶ view of the Control panel:Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 1.26.47 PM.png

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2019 1