Highlighted

Missing Indesign Scripts

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A collegue has recently upgraded from CC 2017.  However in the process he has lost all the script he uses.

On an upgrade does Indesign retain the old script, but moves them to another location.

I have found some XML files which could be the missing items, but I thought all scripts were written in either JS or VBS.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Missing Indesign Scripts

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A collegue has recently upgraded from CC 2017.  However in the process he has lost all the script he uses.

On an upgrade does Indesign retain the old script, but moves them to another location.

I have found some XML files which could be the missing items, but I thought all scripts were written in either JS or VBS.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 23, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on where the scripts were stored before the upgrade.

The scripts panel contains 2 default folders. The User folder points to scripts stored in the InDesign version’s Preferences folder, so for CC2017 it would be /Users/username/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 12.0/en_US/Scripts.

If they were stored in the Application folder the path would be /Applications/Adobe InDesign 2017/Scripts/Scripts Panel. Usually on an upgrade if you choose to remove the earlier version, 3rd party extensions and scripts would be left in the Adobe InDesign 2017 folder—the entire folder doesn’t get deleted

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Valorous Hero ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A good practice could be to use file shortcuts so the effective scripts remain out of the Scripts folder. Not only, it makes script management easier as you can delete any file in the scripts folder without much harm (they are shortcuts) but also will save them for such removal on update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 1
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to extend what Loic said: One could do also aliases of folders.

And folders can contain subfolders where script files are stored. That's a great way to organize scripts and just move an alias of the top folder to the User Scripts folder.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guilford,

your found xml files are no script files.

On Windows InDesign script files go with suffixes:

*.jsx, *.jsxbin, *.js or *.vbs

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Guru ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I'm updating InDesign (and Photoshop), it keeps my scripts (and other user's files like presets) intact and deletes all other stuff.

For example, my CC 2017 folder looks like so:

2020-04-23_22-01-12.png

All my scripts are still there:

2020-04-23_22-10-06.png

I guess Adobe's policy is don't remove user's files on updating.

Did you look into the Program Files/Applications > Adobe > Adobe InDesign CC 2017 folder?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 2