Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Newspaper A4/ A3 for printing

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I need to design a newspaper, so it must be a4 and when they fold it in half it must be an a5.

So my question, do i make design of the newspaper on A3 / A4 and do i add bleeds for printing.

See attached a picture

13a6f5448296b65d6862732038b7a0e7.jpge232f480203b4a0508e43d66eefbeb78.jpgf18bf0c719fc130ddb7f2af982246b1f.jpg

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Who's going to be printing your newspapers?

I'll bet you a nickel that if you ask them for a good template, they've got a handful of options they can provide you that'll match their printing specs exactly and get you the results you're looking for. And it's pretty likely that they're willing to share with you so you get good results and keep bringing business back to them.

Good luck,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Hallo,

judging by the pictures you posted, you should set up your document as A4, double side (left and right pages). Then you can simply fill one page after the other. For printing you will probably have to add bleeds, but that can still be done when everything is finished. Your printers can tell you what bleeds they need. They will also take care of placing the pages so that they appear in the correct order on the larger paper. You do not have to worry about that.

As for the A5 size: Folding an

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

One more thing: If you're printing on newsprint, you're probably not going to be printing with a bleed.

Web presses need a bunch of gripper space to roll those webs out through their presses at 45-50kph. And while it may technically be possible to reset a press to cut and fold inside the live area for a job, I imagine that most newspaper printers are loath to make those kinds of mechanical changes to the regular setup for a single, unique, short-run job.

That's why, given the option, I'd go

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS do you have?

Is the newspaper to printed both sides on an A3 sheet, then folded along the long edge to A4, so that it reads as an A4 four-page newspaper, and then folded once again to A5 for (maybe) posting?

It this newspaper being printed on your desktop printer, if so, what is the maximum sheet size it prints and does it duplex print (i.e. print both sides of the sheet automatically) or are you putting it out for commercial printing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who's going to be printing your newspapers?

I'll bet you a nickel that if you ask them for a good template, they've got a handful of options they can provide you that'll match their printing specs exactly and get you the results you're looking for. And it's pretty likely that they're willing to share with you so you get good results and keep bringing business back to them.

Good luck,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing: If you're printing on newsprint, you're probably not going to be printing with a bleed.

Web presses need a bunch of gripper space to roll those webs out through their presses at 45-50kph. And while it may technically be possible to reset a press to cut and fold inside the live area for a job, I imagine that most newspaper printers are loath to make those kinds of mechanical changes to the regular setup for a single, unique, short-run job.

That's why, given the option, I'd go with a template the printer knows will work on its presses. They're not going to steer you wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo,

judging by the pictures you posted, you should set up your document as A4, double side (left and right pages). Then you can simply fill one page after the other. For printing you will probably have to add bleeds, but that can still be done when everything is finished. Your printers can tell you what bleeds they need. They will also take care of placing the pages so that they appear in the correct order on the larger paper. You do not have to worry about that.

As for the A5 size: Folding an A4 page in half is what makes it an A5 page, so that happens automatically.

(If you have a desktop printer that can handle A3 and duplex printing you can use a funktion of Adobe Acrobat to print it at home as a brochure. Turn your document into a pdf file then open it in Arobat Reader. Choose "print" then in the option section of the print window, choose "brochure".)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just following up ... did your printer get you covered for a template?

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines