Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not all hyperlinks are working after InDesign export

Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm facing a big issue in acrobat after I export interactive PDF from Adobe InDesign.

I have a script in InDesign that creates textframes and links the PageItem to an anchor in another page (e.g. a title, a particular word, etc). As far as I check the links within InDesign, everything is fine: the entries in Hyperlink panel are all set correctly.

The problem is that when I open the exported PDF in Acrobat (I tried: latest versions of Acrobat Reader DC, Adobe Acrobat DC, Chrome PDF Viewer, Edge PDF Viewer), only some of the links are actually working (i.e. if I click on a box - the index finger cursor highlights the opportunity to do so - the view won't jump where I want: it does nothing at all. But if I click on another box, there's a chance that the link will behave as it is supposed to do).

Weird enough, I tried to edit the link within Acrobat DC - just right-clicking "Edit" and then saving from the pop-up as it appears. This will finally cause the link to work. This might be the (unnecessary) solution; the downside is that I have more than 1200 links to check, and for obvious reasons I can't do it manually.

Are there some workarounds to actually caus every single link in my file to work? Am I missing some weird and tremendously hidden checkbox in InDesign that is throwing me this output?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to InDesign Scripting​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

srishtib8795206  wrote

Moved to InDesign Scripting

But it does not seem scripting related. As OP says (and was correct to verify), the links appear correct in the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gabryl,

You can share a small sample INDD document with this problem and post the issue with link to the InDesign document on the InDesign user forum as well to get more visibility to your issue.

I am suggesting this because if this is something that can be reproduced just using the InDesign interface then either this is a bug in InDesign or some setting that you may not be aware of. In both these cases the InDesign user forum would be better suited to give you quick results, as the folks hanging out on that forum are more. In case this issue occurs only when your script runs then please isolate the code to some condensed relevant size so that we can have a look over the code and provide suggestions.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I'll see if I can share a part of the catalogue I'm working on, since it may in part contain confidentiality clause.

I really don't think that this issue is script-related, since also by exporting manually via InDesign menus does not solve the problem.

As I wrote, I can see that the links in the dedicated InDesign panel are correctly set-up; if I click either the destination or the source of the link, the setup is proved to be correct:

pannello-collegamenti.PNG

Also if I try to edit manually the link via Adobe Acrobat DC, the link proves to be right.

Cattura.PNG

Yet the link isn't working as-is.

I should right click every link, open the edit menu (obtaining the "Link properties" window showed above) and then, doing nothing, click "OK" and save the file.

In this very way, the edited link finally works in all PDF readers quoted in first post; but, as I said, having to do so 1200 times is absolutely time consuming and it's not worth the candle.

So, again, my question is: is this an issue/a common issue/an issue that has been discovered yet? And, if the previous question is in some ways affirmative, are there any known workarounds to solve the problem very quickly or with little effort or time waste?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi gabry-el
Was this problem ever solved?
I have the exact same problem with my indexpage. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines