• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Numbered Lists

Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to create a numbered list with 2 levels.  Level 1 is “Actions”;  level 2, indented is “Sub-Actions”. 

The first number enumerates all Actions and sub-actions sequencially (1.2.3.) .

The second number only applies to the sub-actions within an action and starts at i  (i.ii.iii.)

1. Action

2.     i.  Sub-action

3.     ii. Sub-action

4. Action

5.      i. Sub-action

This is easily done in framemaker using run-in headings,  but not so much here.

Is this even possible in ID?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Airlens​, I would love to see Fm's run-in heads added to InDesign—they are very useful—but we don't have them yet. You can vote up the feature request here: STYLE support for run-in (aka in-line) headings – Adobe InDesign Feedback.

BTW, I think that's a pretty clever solution for handling your numbering style in Fm—I'm not sure I would have come up with using run-in heads if this had been asked on the FrameMaker forum.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you have more than one level in a single paragraph style in InDesign (which is what it looks like you're trying to do).

You can do Outline style number as described here:

outlines

Or you can do Multi-level Lists as described here:

multi-level lists

Bob Bringhurst who was one of the people who developed InDesign documentation created these tutorials as well as a couple others to learn about InDesign's numbered list feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately this could be a real problem.  It may mean I go back to FM and try to finish there. I like Indesign and it looks like it would work nicely for an 8 page newsletter but probably not so well for an 800 pg technical document with TOC,crossreferences, illustrations, captions, tables, footnotes, endnotes, index, etc. Thanks for you input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Airlens​, I would love to see Fm's run-in heads added to InDesign—they are very useful—but we don't have them yet. You can vote up the feature request here: STYLE support for run-in (aka in-line) headings – Adobe InDesign Feedback.

BTW, I think that's a pretty clever solution for handling your numbering style in Fm—I'm not sure I would have come up with using run-in heads if this had been asked on the FrameMaker forum.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines