• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paragraph space-after units

Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to InDesign, still finding my way around.

Is there a way to change the paragraph space-before/space-after units to points rather than mm?

Millimeters don't exist in type compostion.

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Show your rulers and right click to change the units to Points.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show your rulers and right click to change the units to Points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, should've guessed that. Last time I did this I would send marked up copy to a photo typesetter and then do a paste up … I lie, that wasn't the last time. I did use Quark Xpress once and my screen was 6" across and the document went on a floppy disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're new, a tip: never change values in the paragraph or character palette. Use Styles in all cases. I don't really know why those palettes are even there, unless it's to create work and waste time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll master the style sheets next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tim:

Welcome to InDesign and to the community forum.

You can override the default measurement system by typing in two letters after a value, i.e., in, mm, cm, pt, etc.

For example, if you are working in millimeters and want to specify 6 pts of space above a paragraph (in the Properties panel, the Control Panel or the Style Options dialog box—wherever one types in spacing values), type in 6 pt. When you press Tab, InDesign will convert that value to the mm equivalent—2.117 mm

You may find it easier in the long run to do the opposite—set InDesign to measure in Picas—where 0p6 indicates zero picas, 6 points—and then use the override when you are specifying larger values by typing in mm.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep. your last paragraph is more the way I go. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines