Highlighted

Paste Arabic Text from Word into InDesign Layout

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I am working on putting Arabic text into an InDesign document that is currently in English. I've switched my Language preferences to English/Arabic and reinstalled the InDesign app. I'm trying to copy, cut and paste the Arabic translation from Word into the InDesign document, but when I paste the selected text it shows up as blank. Any help troubleshooting is much appreciated as I have limited experience with InDesign. Thanks! 

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Willi Adelberger | Most Valuable Participant
  1. There is no need to uninstall and reinstall. Arabic, Hebrew, Asian or Indic versions can be installed above extisng languages.
  2. Having RTL tools does not change text properties.
  3. To work with RTL (RIGHT TO LEFT) documents you have to set it up on several levels:
    1. Document Level: Binding left or right
    2. Object Level: Set up Object Styles: Text frame, start the text frame in the left or right column. It should be set up correctly even if you work with a single column, so that you are able to change it later without any problem.
    3. Story Level
    4. Paragraph: Set up Paragraph Styles, several additional settings, language, direction, etc.
    5. Character: Set up Character Style for each language. If you have the main text LTR and some words in RTL (or vice versa) take care that no line break occurs in the string with different characters as contradictionals directions, both with line breaks cause problems.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Paste Arabic Text from Word into InDesign Layout

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I am working on putting Arabic text into an InDesign document that is currently in English. I've switched my Language preferences to English/Arabic and reinstalled the InDesign app. I'm trying to copy, cut and paste the Arabic translation from Word into the InDesign document, but when I paste the selected text it shows up as blank. Any help troubleshooting is much appreciated as I have limited experience with InDesign. Thanks! 

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Willi Adelberger | Most Valuable Participant
  1. There is no need to uninstall and reinstall. Arabic, Hebrew, Asian or Indic versions can be installed above extisng languages.
  3. To work with RTL (RIGHT TO LEFT) documents you have to set it up on several levels:
    2. Object Level: Set up Object Styles: Text frame, start the text frame in the left or right column. It should be set up correctly even if you work with a single column, so that you are able to change it later without any problem.
    3. Story Level
    4. Paragraph: Set up Paragraph Styles, several additional settings, language, direction, etc.
    5. Character: Set up Character Style for each language. If you have the main text LTR and some words in RTL (or vice versa) take care that no line break occurs in the string with different characters as contradictionals directions, both with line breaks cause problems.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 10, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved from Adobe Creative Cloud to InDesign​ forum.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2019 0
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why to copy past? if its a word doc. you can place the text.

make sure that re draw the text frame in ME Type Tool

then place the text inside.

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 12.11.52.png

also you make sure that you have arabic fonts. by default you will have ADOBE ARABIC font.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 0
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, copy/paste is highly unreliable, especially when switching languages/encodings. Use File > Place as Manal suggests.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3. Story Level

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 2
Engaged ,
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willi, thank you. This is very helpful. I work in RTL (Hebrew/English) documents frequently and often miss one of these settings. Having a list like this in front of me will help to avoid that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 0
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like manal shanableh wrote, I do believe that your InDesign is not the ME version. You may download another older InDesign copy that supports Arabic without removing existing version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 2
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Can you tell me which older InDesign versions would have the ME option? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2019 0
Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All Indesign can be configured (or downloaded) as ME version if I remember well.

Regards,
Abambo
Hard- and Software Engineer and Photographer

I'm not an Adobe employee. All advice constitutes my own opinion. Use at your risk! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2019 0
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Can you advise on how enable the ME version?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2019 0
Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find and install Hebrew or Arabic editions of InDesign CC or Illustrator CC

Regards,
Abambo
Hard- and Software Engineer and Photographer

I'm not an Adobe employee. All advice constitutes my own opinion. Use at your risk! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2019 0
Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am an arabic user...

Go to Creative cloud app menu (the three dots on the right)

Preferences

Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 01.10.36.png

then go to Creative cloud tab, App language: choose English يدعم العربية

then you have to close the application if its opened already and Update. no need to uninstall and reinstall.

Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 01.11.14.png

make sure that you choose ME type tool to draw text frame, then place the text, I suggest place text not copy past.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2019 2
Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also, when place the arabic text please note the following:

rigt-to-left paragraph direction. (you will not have this option if you did not set the preferences in the creative cloud, App language to: English يدعم العربية

Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 01.21.53.png

-default of set up correctly or right to left

language arabic if you want to digits to set in arabic. (some times we keep the digits in English inside the arabic letters)

Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 01.21.39.png

now you have the full answer!

for more information you contact me.

manal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2019 2
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Manal! Been trying to figure this out for months. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manal
Thank you for your detailed instructions.

I'm doing a translation from English to Arabic and have had the copy supplied in a word doc. When I paste or place copy into indesign it is flowing the wrong way. I've followed your instructions so I have the ME type tool etc. What am I doing wrong? Also the same font looks different in the different programmes - is it still legible?
I hope you see this, I know your post was from last year.
Thank you
Jill

Screenshot 2020-11-05 at 17.12.07.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2020 0
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jill,

look very close to the screenshot Manal provided.

Your paragraph direction is the wrong one.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for spotting that Laubender.

However when I click it the text just re-justifies left or right rather than re-flowing the copy.

Maybe this sentance explains my problem better. You can see the words in English don't appear in the same position in the InDesign doc than the word doc. Making me think the sentance is back to front in terms of words. I'm making the assumption that the word doc reads in the correct order so my InDesign doc needs to look the same, albeit in a slightly different font.

Kind regards

Jill
Screenshot 2020-11-06 at 09.32.14.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignore me, I've sorted it - Even though I knew the text flows right to left I was still proofing it left to right. I've got it now. Thank you for your reply.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 0