Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replacing Flash video clips in an InDesign interactive pdf

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somebody please tell me....

Now that Flash is almost dead, what will replace it? I have a bundle of old files which I now need to refresh. All are interactive PDFs created in InDesign with embedded video clips included. Now, the video clips don't play anymore. How do I go about correcting the files so that the video clips play properly.

Do I simply convert the video clips from .swf to another format and resave the files?

With a bad internet connection I have persevered with my own copy of CS6... but is this issue going to force the inevitable upgrade to CC?!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC won’t change the fact that interactive PDF is an awful format for multimedia. Give this a read and make your own decisions:

https://www.boblevine.us/its-okay-to-say-no-to-interactive-pdf/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think the only option is to run a test to see if you can convert your videos to MP4 (or some form of HTML5 if they were created as interactive elements like Captivate), then replace and re-export.

Adobe Acrobat allows for this as well, so you might not have to go down the InDesign path. You could try to remove the old video and insert the mp4 replacement within Acrobat.

I would agree with Bob and would suggest to consider web pages or similar depending on your situation.

a bit more about the InDesign option at https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/indesign/using/movies-sounds.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/indesign/using/movies-sounds.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric,

Just getting back to that issue I had with video files within a PDF not playing.

I tried two options as suggested:

1. I converted the video files to .mp4 and relinked to the new file in InDesign, then exported as an interactive PDF. The video file would not play in the PDF (though the preview in InDesign did play).

2. I deleted the video file in InDesign, exported as interactive PDF, in Acrobat I added the video file. Result was identical, it would not play.

I'm wondering is something else going on which keeps it from playing – do I have to eliminate any Flash drivers from my Mac perhaps? Is the Mac looking for Flash first.

Thanks,

Denis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are finding out why I stand by my initial answer. This is, IMO, an exercise in futility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I'm wondering is something else going on which keeps it from playing."

You need to take in Bob's answer. Flash in obsolete and multimedia PDFs won't even play on many platforms nowadays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might consider InDesign's Publish Online, depending on your document requirements. But you'd have to upgrade!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines